Photon as a particle and e-ray and o-ray

In summary, birefringence is the phenomenon where light with linear polarizations parallel and perpendicular to a given axis will refract at different angles due to the material's birefringence. This results in the splitting of the light into two linearly polarized beams, known as ordinary and extraordinary. When a photon is polarized at a 45 degree angle, it is in a superposition of being in the 0 degree and 90 degree states. Upon hitting a polarizer, it will collapse into one of these states with equal probability, resulting in half of the photons being ordinary and the other half being extraordinary. This phenomenon can be explained both classically and quantum mechanically, with the classical model being an
galvin452
Wiki in birefringence says, "light with linear polarizations parallel and perpendicular ... the component with polarization perpendicular to this axis will be refracted as per the standard law of refraction, while the complementary polarization component will refract at a nonstandard angle determined by the angle of entry and the birefringence. The light will therefore split into two linearly polarized beams, known as ordinary and extraordinary.

My understanding is that if I have a 45 degree linear polarized light (polarized photon particles?) I still end up with an o-ray photon and an e-ray photon.

But as a particle a photon can not be split so I would assume the 45 degree linear polarized photon would either rotate to the vertical or horizontal linear polarization.

Is this correct?

Science news on Phys.org
galvin452 said:
My understanding is that if I have a 45 degree linear polarized light (polarized photon particles?) I still end up with an o-ray photon and an e-ray photon.

But as a particle a photon can not be split so I would assume the 45 degree linear polarized photon would either rotate to the vertical or horizontal linear polarization.

Is this correct?
You are mixing up models that are not meant to be mixed.
The "ray" description is classical, the photon description is quantum mechanics.
The classical effect is an emergent behavior what happens on average.

galvin452 said:

Is this correct?

A photon polarized at a 45 degree angle is in a superposition of being in of the 0 degree and 90 degree states. When it hits the polarizer, it will collapse it into one of the states, which each having 50% probability. So half of the photons will be ordinary and the other half will be extraordinary, recovering the classical expectations for the experiment.

wotanub said:
A photon polarized at a 45 degree angle is in a superposition of being in of the 0 degree and 90 degree states. When it hits the polarizer, it will collapse it into one of the states, which each having 50% probability. So half of the photons will be ordinary and the other half will be extraordinary, recovering the classical expectations for the experiment.

Thanks

Yes, your understanding is correct. As a particle, a photon cannot be split into two separate particles. However, when interacting with a birefringent material, the photon's polarization can be changed. In the case of a 45 degree linearly polarized photon, it will split into an o-ray and an e-ray, each with their own unique polarization angle. This is due to the birefringent material causing the light to refract at different angles for each polarization component. So while the photon itself remains unchanged, its polarization is altered by the birefringent material.

Related to Photon as a particle and e-ray and o-ray

What is a photon?

A photon is a fundamental particle that carries electromagnetic energy. It is the basic unit of light and behaves both as a particle and a wave.

How does a photon behave as a particle?

A photon behaves as a particle by having a discrete amount of energy and momentum. It can interact with matter by being absorbed or emitted, and it can also transfer its energy to electrons.

What are e-ray and o-ray?

E-ray and o-ray refer to the two different polarizations of light when passing through an anisotropic crystal. E-ray, or extraordinary ray, has a different refractive index than o-ray, or ordinary ray, and can be split into two beams with different directions.

How is a photon different from other particles?

A photon is different from other particles because it has no mass and is always moving at the speed of light. It also has no electric charge and does not experience the strong or weak nuclear forces.

What are the applications of photon as a particle and e-ray and o-ray?

The applications of photon as a particle and e-ray and o-ray include telecommunications, optical data storage, and medical imaging. Photons are also used in solar panels to convert light into electricity, and e-ray and o-ray can be used in polarizing filters for sunglasses and camera lenses.