Photon-Atom Interaction: Effects on Electron and Nucleus Energies

• Thread starter GuhaGubindam
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Interaction
In summary, the first conversation discusses the effects of striking a hydrogen atom or ion with a photon. It is determined that the electron will rise up a shell level, but the nucleus will remain in its ground state. The second conversation asks if a rise in temperature would occur if a volume of protons were struck with photons, to which it is explained that while the temperature in the box may increase, individual particles do not have a temperature. It is also recommended to start a new post for new questions.
GuhaGubindam
Ok, i want to make the question clear:
1) Let's say I strike my hydrogen atom with a single photon; will the electron rise up a shell level, and the nucleus become more energetic as well? OR just the electron will rise up a shell level, and the nucleus will be undisturbed?
2) Also, if I strike a hydrogen ion; just a proton, with a photon, will the proton become more energetic, meaning a volume of which will experience a rise in temperature?

Physics news on Phys.org
GuhaGubindam said:
1) Let's say I strike my hydrogen atom with a single photon; will the electron rise up a shell level, and the nucleus become more energetic as well? OR just the electron will rise up a shell level, and the nucleus will be undisturbed?

Pretty much the latter. The nucleus will remain in its ground state since nuclear transitions require MUCH larger energy scales than electronic transitions.

GuhaGubindam said:
2) Also, if I strike a hydrogen ion; just a proton, with a photon, will the proton become more energetic, meaning a volume of which will experience a rise in temperature?

No, the ion would just be accelerated. It would take a high-energy gamma-ray photon to induce a nuclear transition. Also, temperature doesn't really apply to a single proton.

Likes bhobba
Drakkith said:
Pretty much the latter. The nucleus will remain in its ground state since nuclear transitions require MUCH larger energy scales than electronic transitions.
No, the ion would just be accelerated. It would take a high-energy gamma-ray photon to induce a nuclear transition. Also, temperature doesn't really apply to a single proton.
Thanks. But in regards to the temperature, should there be a volume of such protons in a fixed vessel, bombarded with photons, wouldn't that imply a rise in temperature?

GuhaGubindam said:
None of the two. The energy levels are a property of the whole atom. The nucleus is much heavier, so the change affects the electron more than the nucleus, but describing the process just with the electron does not work. The nucleus itself does not change, and the electron itself does not change either (it keeps its mass and so on).
GuhaGubindam said:
Thanks. But in regards to the temperature, should there be a volume of such protons in a fixed vessel, bombarded with photons, wouldn't that imply a rise in temperature?
It would increase the temperature in the box (on average, or with many photons). Individual particles do not have a temperature.

Please start new posts for new questions, the thread was from 2013. I'll split the threads.

Likes bhobba

Related to Photon-Atom Interaction: Effects on Electron and Nucleus Energies

1. What is a photon-atom interaction?

A photon-atom interaction refers to the process by which a photon (a particle of light) interacts with an atom. This interaction can result in changes to the energy levels of the atom's electrons and nucleus.

2. How does a photon affect the energy of an atom's electrons?

When a photon interacts with an atom, it can transfer energy to or from the atom's electrons. This can cause the electrons to move to a higher or lower energy level, resulting in changes to the atom's overall energy state.

3. What is the role of the nucleus in a photon-atom interaction?

The nucleus of an atom plays a crucial role in photon-atom interactions. It acts as a target for the photon, absorbing or emitting energy during the interaction. This can also result in changes to the energy levels of the nucleus itself.

4. How do different types of photons interact with atoms?

Different types of photons, such as X-rays or visible light, interact with atoms in different ways. This is because different types of photons have different energies, and the energy of a photon determines how it will interact with an atom. For example, X-rays have higher energies than visible light, so they are more likely to cause changes in the energy levels of an atom's electrons and nucleus.

5. What are the practical applications of understanding photon-atom interactions?

Understanding photon-atom interactions is essential for many fields of science and technology. It has applications in fields such as spectroscopy, where it is used to study the properties of materials, and in medical imaging, where X-rays are used to create images of the human body. It also plays a crucial role in the development of technologies such as solar cells and lasers.