Photon energy and specific heat capacity

In summary, the conversation discusses using the answer given in a book to solve for parts b and c, but not being sure of what went wrong in part a. The correct answer given in the book is 5.1*10^{-3}J, but there is uncertainty about assuming the blood evaporates at 100 degrees. The speaker believes that using 100°C as the vaporization point is correct, but acknowledges the possibility of the book having incorrect solutions.
Fluxthroughme
amtftl.jpg

If I use the answer given in the book for part a, I can get the correct answers for b and c. However, I do not know what I have done wrong in part a? My best guess would be that assuming the blood evaporates at 100 degrees is incorrect? The answer given in the book is [itex]5.1*10^{-3}J[/itex]

Physics news on Phys.org
It seems correct to me... and if they ask you to use same data as water, I also assume that using 100°C is correct as vaporization point (also because you do not have it given, and you would need it to do the problem, so it has to be 100°C).

Perhaps the book has wrong solutions, or something else is going on I can't see, but to me it is correct

Related to Photon energy and specific heat capacity

1. What is photon energy?

Photon energy is the energy carried by individual particles of light, called photons. It is a fundamental concept in quantum mechanics and is often measured in units of electron volts (eV).

2. How does photon energy relate to specific heat capacity?

Photon energy is one of the factors that determines the specific heat capacity of a substance. The specific heat capacity is a measure of how much energy is required to raise the temperature of a substance by a certain amount. The more photons a substance can absorb, the higher its specific heat capacity will be.

3. Can photon energy be converted into heat energy?

Yes, when photons are absorbed by a substance, their energy can be converted into heat energy, resulting in an increase in temperature. This is the basis for how solar panels work, as they convert the energy from photons in sunlight into heat energy.

4. How does the frequency of photons affect their energy?

The energy of a photon is directly proportional to its frequency. This means that photons with higher frequencies, such as gamma rays, have more energy than photons with lower frequencies, such as radio waves.

5. Can the specific heat capacity of a substance be changed by altering its photon energy absorption abilities?

Yes, the specific heat capacity of a substance can be changed by altering its ability to absorb photons. This can be achieved through various methods such as changing the chemical composition of the substance or introducing impurities that can enhance photon absorption.