Photon with negative energy, Compton Scattering

In summary, the conversation discusses a Compton scattering event and the resulting energies of the photon and electron. The task at hand is to find the wavelength of the photon before the collision, the scattering angle for the photon after the collision, and the scattering angle for the electron after the collision. The equations used are conservation of energy, conservation of momentum, and Compton's scattering formula. After attempting to solve using conservation of energy, a negative energy is obtained for the photon before the collision. It is concluded that the given energy for the electron does not include its rest energy and the conversation ends with gratitude towards the person providing assistance.
zellwwf
Hello PF people,

Homework Statement

In a Compton scattering event, after the collision, the Photon has an energy of 0.12 MeV
and the Electron has an energy of 0.04 MeV. Find the following:

i) The Wavelength of the photon before the collision.
ii) The scattering angle for the photon after the collision.
iii) The scattering angle for the electron after the collision.

Homework Equations

1 . Conservation of Energy
2 . Conservation of Momentum
3 . Compton's Scattering [itex]Δλ = \frac{h}{mc}(1-cos(θ))[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to equate the conservation of energy,
i get a negative energy for the photon before it collides:
E_p + E_e = E_p + E_e
Then substituting (in MeV):
X + 0.511 = 0.04 + 0.12 --> X = -0.351 MeV

I did not copy anything wrong, the problem sheet gives these numbers, what do i do? is this wrong or should i continue?

Physics news on Phys.org
The given energy for the electron obviously does not include its rest energy.

Hello again voko, ur my savior! :)
Yea, what you are saying makes total sense.. thank you a lot

Related to Photon with negative energy, Compton Scattering

1. What is a photon with negative energy?

A photon with negative energy is a theoretical concept in quantum physics that suggests that a photon can have negative energy in certain situations. This is in contrast to the traditional understanding that photons always have positive energy.

2. How is Compton Scattering related to photons with negative energy?

Compton Scattering is a phenomenon where an incoming photon collides with a stationary electron, resulting in a scattered photon with lower energy and an ejected electron. This process can occur with photons of any energy, including those with negative energy.

3. Can photons with negative energy be observed in real life?

At this time, there is no experimental evidence to support the existence of photons with negative energy. The concept is still a topic of debate among scientists, and further research and experimentation is needed to determine its validity.

4. What are the implications of photons with negative energy for our understanding of the universe?

If photons with negative energy are proven to exist, it could potentially challenge some of our current theories and understanding of the universe. It may also have implications for technologies that rely on the behavior of photons, such as solar panels and lasers.

5. How does the concept of photons with negative energy fit into the broader study of quantum physics?

The concept of photons with negative energy is just one aspect of the complex and ever-evolving field of quantum physics. It is a topic that is still being explored and studied, and its implications could have a significant impact on our understanding of the fundamental laws of the universe.