Photon's Probability of Passing Through Polaroid

In summary, the "Photon's Probability of Passing Through Polaroid" refers to the likelihood of a photon passing through a polaroid filter, and it is calculated using Malus' Law. The orientation of the polaroid, the polarization of the incident light, and the intensity of the light all affect this probability. It is directly related to polarization and cannot be greater than 100% according to Malus' Law.
eren.kizildag
When I am studying photon physics, one question come to my mind about mixed states. Let a photon be in the state |h> = (a;b) where (a;b) is a column vector with complex entries. How can we calculate the probability of its passing through an x-polaroid?

My approach: p(h->x) = |<h|x>||<h|x>|* = |a|^2.

But I'm not sure about it.. Can anyone check this idea whether it is true or not.

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you mean an "x- polarized" film? "Polaroid" is a copyrighted brand name.

Related to Photon's Probability of Passing Through Polaroid

What is the "Photon's Probability of Passing Through Polaroid"?

The "Photon's Probability of Passing Through Polaroid" refers to the likelihood of a photon, or a particle of light, passing through a polaroid filter. This probability is determined by the orientation of the polaroid and the polarization of the photon.

How is the "Photon's Probability of Passing Through Polaroid" calculated?

The probability of a photon passing through a polaroid can be calculated using Malus' Law, which states that the intensity of light passing through a polaroid is equal to the initial intensity multiplied by the square of the cosine of the angle between the polaroid's transmission axis and the direction of polarization of the light.

What factors affect the "Photon's Probability of Passing Through Polaroid"?

The "Photon's Probability of Passing Through Polaroid" is affected by the orientation of the polaroid, the polarization of the incident light, and the intensity of the light.

How does the "Photon's Probability of Passing Through Polaroid" relate to the concept of polarization?

Polarization refers to the orientation of the electric field of a light wave. The "Photon's Probability of Passing Through Polaroid" is directly related to polarization, as the orientation of the polaroid filter determines which polarization of light is able to pass through it.

Can the "Photon's Probability of Passing Through Polaroid" be greater than 100%?

No, the "Photon's Probability of Passing Through Polaroid" cannot be greater than 100%. This is because Malus' Law states that the intensity of light passing through a polaroid cannot exceed the initial intensity of the light.