Physical applications of complex numbers

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the magnitude of a vector and the difference between magnitude and the vector itself. The example of a car's speedometer is used to illustrate this concept. The magnitude of a vector represents its speed, while the vector itself shows the direction of movement.
Calpalned

Homework Statement

upload_2015-10-13_18-59-28.png

Homework Equations

see picture above

The Attempt at a Solution

I can follow most of the steps, but not all. I got confused with finding ##|\frac{dz}{dt}|##. It is easy to derive ##\frac{dz}{dt}## from ##z##. Normally, I would square the two components of ##dz/dt## and take the square root to get the magnitude (velocity), but here I don't have the components. Is it a general rule that if I don't have the components of a vector, to find the magnitude, I multiply by the complex conjugate?

Physics news on Phys.org
Calpalned said:

Homework Statement

View attachment 90171

Homework Equations

see picture above

The Attempt at a Solution

I can follow most of the steps, but not all. I got confused with finding ##|\frac{dz}{dt}|##. It is easy to derive ##\frac{dz}{dt}## from ##z##. Normally, I would square the two components of ##dz/dt## and take the square root to get the magnitude (velocity), but here I don't have the components. Is it a general rule that if I don't have the components of a vector, to find the magnitude, I multiply by the complex conjugate?
For a complex number z, ##|z| = \sqrt{z \cdot \bar{z}}##

Likes Calpalned
What is the physical difference between ##|\frac{dz}{dt}|## and ##\frac{dz}{dt}## Could you please give a real world example (ie a car, horse, etc moving) Thank you.

Calpalned said:
What is the physical difference between ##|\frac{dz}{dt}|## and ##\frac{dz}{dt}## Could you please give a real world example (ie a car, horse, etc moving) Thank you.
A car's speedometer gives the magnitude of the car's velocity. For example, if you drive the car around a circle at a constant speed, the speedometer needle doesn't change. Velocity is a vector quantity, so the direction of the velocity vector is changing while the car is turning, even though the speed (|v|) is not.

Mark44 said:
A car's speedometer gives the magnitude of the car's velocity. For example, if you drive the car around a circle at a constant speed, the speedometer needle doesn't change. Velocity is a vector quantity, so the direction of the velocity vector is changing while the car is turning, even though the speed (|v|) is not.
Thank you. I understand now that the magnitude of velocity is speed

Note that an object moving around a circle with constant speed has norm of the velocity vector constant so its derivative is 0. But the velocity vector is NOT constant so its derivative, the acceleration vector, is not 0.

Related to Physical applications of complex numbers

1. What are complex numbers and how are they used in physical applications?

Complex numbers are numbers that have a real part and an imaginary part. They are used in physical applications to represent quantities such as electrical impedance, voltage, and current in AC circuits, as well as in quantum mechanics to describe wave functions.

2. Can complex numbers be visualized in physical space?

Yes, complex numbers can be visualized as points on a 2-dimensional plane, with the real part represented on the x-axis and the imaginary part on the y-axis. This allows for a geometric interpretation of complex numbers in physical applications.

3. What is the significance of the complex conjugate in physical applications?

The complex conjugate of a complex number is its mirror image about the real axis. In physical applications, it is used to calculate the magnitude and phase of a complex number, which are important in understanding the behavior of electrical circuits and quantum systems.

4. How are complex numbers used in signal processing?

In signal processing, complex numbers are used to represent sinusoidal signals, such as sound waves or electromagnetic waves. They are also used in the Fourier transform, which is a mathematical tool used to analyze and manipulate signals.

5. Are there any limitations to using complex numbers in physical applications?

While complex numbers are a powerful tool in physical applications, they cannot be physically measured or observed. They are purely mathematical constructs used to simplify calculations and represent physical phenomena. Additionally, some physical systems may not exhibit behavior that can be accurately described using complex numbers.