Physical Chemist - Molecular Biophysics Research

In summary, the individual is currently studying Physics as an undergraduate but would prefer to be a physical chemist and work as a university lecturer in the Chemistry department. They are currently researching in the field of molecular biophysics but feel that being in the Physics department is a wrong choice. They are wondering if they should continue with their BS in Physics or switch to Chemistry now, which would require 5 more years of study. They are also concerned about the difficulty of changing to Chemistry for their MS and PhD. The advice given is to stick with their current major and demonstrate an interest in Chemistry through extra-curricular activities, as most postgraduate courses only require a suitable undergraduate degree. It is also mentioned that Physics pays more at the academic level.
pisa
Now I'm undergrad student, majoring in Physics.

But I think I prefer to be a physical chemist and want to be a university lecturer in department of chemistry.

My research field is molecular biophysics and I need to have a basic knowledge of organic chemistry and biochemistry, but now I'm in Physics department. I think I'm in the wrong way.

What should I do?
If I continue study BS in Physics, is it difficult to change to chemistry in MS and PhD?
or is it better to change my major now? (I have to study 5 years to do that)

(Sorry if my grammar is wrong. I'm Thai and I use English as the second language)

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
pisa said:
Now I'm undergrad student, majoring in Physics.

But I think I prefer to be a physical chemist and want to be a university lecturer in department of chemistry.

My research field is molecular biophysics and I need to have a basic knowledge of organic chemistry and biochemistry, but now I'm in Physics department. I think I'm in the wrong way.

What should I do?
If I continue study BS in Physics, is it difficult to change to chemistry in MS and PhD?
or is it better to change my major now? (I have to study 5 years to do that)

(Sorry if my grammar is wrong. I'm Thai and I use English as the second language)

Thank you.

Hello,

I have a lecturuer at University that worked in the Chemistry deparment and recently swapped to Physics; as there is a lot of overlap he could get away with this. I studied a combination of Physical Chemistry and Physics as an undergraduate and I would say that my chemistry courses were very similar to that done in the Physics department.

However, I did no organic Chemistry and only a little inorganic. If you want to work as a physical chemist I can't see why you would need to know organic/inorganic? If it is only a 'basic' knowledge of these topics then you can pick this up from books on your own.

I would stick where you are and maybe do some extra-curricular activites that demonstrate you have an interest in the Chemical side also. That way, when you apply for Masters you can demonstrate an early interest rather than just a fickle switch in goals.

All the masters/PhD courses I have seen usually ask for a suitable undergraduate course, it's not specific as to what that might be, Physics/Maths/Chemistry are all similar disciplines in the respect that they develop logical skills and the use of the scientific method, proof, etc. so I doubt you would have problems applying for a Physical Chemsitry post graduate course.

P.S. Just to add, Physics pays a lot more than Chemistry at the academic level, which I suspect was the motivation for the Chemist to switch to Physics at my University.

Related to Physical Chemist - Molecular Biophysics Research

1. What is physical chemistry and how does it relate to molecular biophysics research?

Physical chemistry is a branch of chemistry that focuses on the study of the physical properties and behavior of matter at the molecular and atomic level. It is closely related to molecular biophysics research because it involves the use of physical principles and techniques to understand the structure, dynamics, and interactions of biological molecules.

2. What techniques do physical chemists use in molecular biophysics research?

Physical chemists use a variety of techniques such as spectroscopy, microscopy, and computational methods to study the properties and behavior of biological molecules. These techniques allow them to analyze the structure, dynamics, and interactions of molecules in different environments.

3. What are some applications of physical chemistry in molecular biophysics research?

Physical chemistry has many applications in molecular biophysics research, including drug discovery, protein engineering, and understanding biological processes. It also plays a crucial role in developing new techniques and technologies for studying biological systems.

4. Can physical chemistry be used to study living organisms?

Yes, physical chemistry can be used to study living organisms. It is particularly useful for understanding the structure and function of biological molecules such as proteins, DNA, and lipids. By studying these molecules, physical chemists can gain insights into how living organisms function and develop new treatments for diseases.

5. What are some current research topics in physical chemistry related to molecular biophysics?

Some current research topics in physical chemistry related to molecular biophysics include protein folding, membrane dynamics, and biomolecular interactions. Other areas of interest include the development of new techniques for studying biological systems and the use of computational methods to model and simulate biological processes.