Physical Chemistry- Partial Pressures

In summary: You correctly used the ideal gas law to find the number of moles of oxygen. Then you used the same formula to find the volume at the new conditions. Just remember to double check your arithmetic, especially when the numbers are close.
PerenialQuest
Hello all,
This is a homework problem for my CHE345 class. Not sure what to do here, please at least let me know if I'm in the right ballpark.

Homework Statement

A student decomposes KCLO3 and collects 35.2 cm^3 of O2 over water at 23.0°C. The laboratory barometer reads 751 Torr. The vapor pressure of water at 23.0°C is 21.1 Torr. Find the volume the oxygen would occupy at 0.0*C and 1.2atm (= 912 Torr).

Homework Equations

not exactly sure what is relevant here. Perhaps these:
(1) PV = nRT
(2) Pj = partial pressure
(3) xj = mole fraction
(4) Pj = xjP
(5) Pj = njRT/V
(6) Ptotal = PA + PB +...

The Attempt at a Solution

My problem I think, is in interpreting the question, but here goes an attempt:

using eq. (6):
Ptotal = Pwater + PO2
751 Torr = 21.1 Torr + PO2
PO2 = 729.9

from here I'll use eq. (1) to solve for nO2
PV = nRT
n = PV/RT
n = (729.9 Torr)(0.0352 L)/(62.634 L Torr K-1mol-1)(296.15 K)
n = 1.385 x 10-4

Now to solve for the V at Tfinal

V = nRT/P
V = (1.385E-4 moles)(62.634 L Torr K-1mol-1)(273.15 K) / 912 Torr)
V = 0.002598 L = 2.598cm3

How'd I do?

Physics news on Phys.org
PerenialQuest said:
Hello all,
This is a homework problem for my CHE345 class. Not sure what to do here, please at least let me know if I'm in the right ballpark.

Homework Statement

A student decomposes KCLO3 and collects 35.2 cm^3 of O2 over water at 23.0°C. The laboratory barometer reads 751 Torr. The vapor pressure of water at 23.0°C is 21.1 Torr. Find the volume the oxygen would occupy at 0.0*C and 1.2atm (= 912 Torr).

Homework Equations

(1) PV = nRT
(3) xj = mole fraction
(4) Pj = xjP
(5) Pj = njRT/V

The Attempt at a Solution

using eq. (6):
Ptotal = Pwater + PO2
PO2 = 729.9

PV = nRT
n = PV/RT
n = 1.385 x 10-4

V = nRT/P
V = (1.385E-4 moles)(62.634 L Torr K-1mol-1)(273.15 K) / 912 Torr)
V = 0.002598 L = 2.598cm3

How'd I do?

You made an arithmetic error in calculating the number of moles. The pressures and temperatures in the two situations are not too different, and, if the volume was much less than 35.2 cc, this should have alerted you that there was an arithmetic mistake somewhere. Try to get used to asking yourself whether your answer makes sense.

Chestermiller said:
You made an arithmetic error in calculating the number of moles. The pressures and temperatures in the two situations are not too different, and, if the volume was much less than 35.2 cc, this should have alerted you that there was an arithmetic mistake somewhere. Try to get used to asking yourself whether your answer makes sense.

1. Homework Statement

2. Homework Equations
(1) PV = nRT
(3) xj = mole fraction
(4) Pj = xjP
(5) Pj = njRT/V

3. The Attempt at a Solution

using eq. (6):
Ptotal = Pwater + PO2
PO2 = 729.9

PV = nRT
n = PV/RT
n = 1.385 x 10-3

V = nRT/P
V = (1.385E-3 moles)(62.634 L Torr K-1mol-1)(273.15 K) / 912 Torr)
V = 0.02598 L = 25.98cm3

Ah yes, thank you, I missed a digit. That better? Did I go about the problem correctly?

Hi there,

Your approach seems correct so far. You correctly used the ideal gas law (PV = nRT) to find the number of moles of oxygen (n) at the given conditions. To find the volume at the final conditions (0.0*C and 1.2 atm), you used the rearranged version of the ideal gas law (V = nRT/P). This is also correct.

However, there is one small error in your calculations. In your second calculation for volume (V = nRT/P), you used the temperature in Kelvin as 273.15 K. This is actually the temperature in Celsius. To convert to Kelvin, you need to add 273.15 to get a temperature of 546.3 K. Using this corrected temperature, you should get a final volume of 4.765 cm^3.

Overall, your approach and use of equations is correct. Just be careful with units and conversions. Good job!

Related to Physical Chemistry- Partial Pressures

1. What is partial pressure in physical chemistry?

Partial pressure refers to the pressure exerted by a single component in a mixture of gases. It is a measure of the individual contribution of that component to the total pressure of the mixture.

2. How is partial pressure calculated?

To calculate partial pressure, multiply the total pressure of the mixture by the mole fraction of the component in question. The mole fraction is the ratio of the number of moles of that component to the total number of moles in the mixture.

3. What is Dalton's law of partial pressures?

Dalton's law states that the total pressure exerted by a mixture of ideal gases is equal to the sum of the partial pressures of each individual gas component. This law assumes that the gases do not interact with each other.

4. How does temperature affect partial pressures?

According to the ideal gas law, an increase in temperature will result in an increase in the volume of the gas molecules, leading to an increase in the partial pressure of that gas. However, this relationship only holds true for ideal gases and may not apply to real gases.

5. What is the role of partial pressures in gas reactions?

In gas reactions, the partial pressures of each gas component play a crucial role in determining the direction and rate of the reaction. Changes in partial pressures can lead to shifts in equilibrium and affect the overall yield of the reaction.