Physical interpretation of Neumann-Dirichlet conditions

In summary, the conversation discusses a PDE problem involving the wave equation with homogeneous Neumann-Dirichlet boundary conditions. The first equation represents the wave propagation away from the boundary, with c as the propagation speed. The other equations are boundary conditions. The poster is seeking help with interpreting the physical meaning of each line in the problem.
A.Magnus
I am working on a PDE problem like this:

Consider the wave equation with homogeneous Neumann-Dirichlet boundary conditions:

##\begin{align}
u_{tt} &= c^2U_{xx}, &&0<x<\mathscr l, t > 0\\
u_x(0, t) &=u(\mathscr l, t) = 0, &&t > 0\\
u(x, 0) &=f(x), &&0<x< \mathscr l\\
u_t(x, 0) &=g(x), &&0<x< \mathscr l
\end{align}##
(a) Give a physical interpretation for each line in the problem above.
(b) State the eigenvalue problem for ...
(c) ...
(d) ...

I am posting this asking for help on answering (a) since I do not have background whatsoever in either engineering or physics. I know how to work out the rest of questions after (a), since they are all math questions.

Thank you very much for your time and help.

Physics news on Phys.org
A.Magnus said:
I am working on a PDE problem like this:

Consider the wave equation with homogeneous Neumann-Dirichlet boundary conditions:

##\begin{align}
u_{tt} &= c^2U_{xx}, &&0<x<\mathscr l, t > 0\\
u_x(0, t) &=u(\mathscr l, t) = 0, &&t > 0\\
u(x, 0) &=f(x), &&0<x< \mathscr l\\
u_t(x, 0) &=g(x), &&0<x< \mathscr l
\end{align}##
(a) Give a physical interpretation for each line in the problem above.
(b) State the eigenvalue problem for ...
(c) ...
(d) ...

I am posting this asking for help on answering (a) since I do not have background whatsoever in either engineering or physics. I know how to work out the rest of questions after (a), since they are all math questions.

Thank you very much for your time and help.

Well, it's a wave equation in one dimension. c is the propagation speed of the wave. The first equation is just the wave propagation equation away from the boundary. The others are just boundary conditions. Try to express them in words, if u represents the amplitude of the wave

Dick said:
Well, it's a wave equation in one dimension. c is the propagation speed of the wave. The first equation is just the wave propagation equation away from the boundary. The others are just boundary conditions. Try to express them in words, if u represents the amplitude of the wave

Thank you.

Related to Physical interpretation of Neumann-Dirichlet conditions

1. What are Neumann-Dirichlet conditions?

Neumann-Dirichlet conditions are boundary conditions used to solve partial differential equations. They determine the behavior of a function at the boundary of a domain by specifying the value of the function or its derivative at that boundary.

2. How are Neumann-Dirichlet conditions different from each other?

Neumann conditions specify the derivative of a function at the boundary, while Dirichlet conditions specify the value of the function at the boundary. In other words, Neumann conditions deal with the flux of a function across the boundary, while Dirichlet conditions deal with the value of the function at the boundary.

3. What is the physical interpretation of Neumann-Dirichlet conditions?

The physical interpretation of Neumann-Dirichlet conditions is that they represent physical constraints on a system. Neumann conditions can represent the flow of heat or mass, while Dirichlet conditions can represent fixed temperatures or concentrations at the boundary of a system.

4. How are Neumann-Dirichlet conditions used in practical applications?

Neumann-Dirichlet conditions are used in many fields, such as heat transfer, fluid mechanics, and electromagnetism. They are essential for solving boundary value problems and can help determine the behavior of a system under different conditions.

5. Can Neumann-Dirichlet conditions be applied to all types of partial differential equations?

Yes, Neumann-Dirichlet conditions can be applied to all types of partial differential equations. They are widely used in mathematical and scientific fields to solve a variety of problems, making them a fundamental concept in the study of partial differential equations.