Physical meaning of vector line integration

In summary, the line integral of a vector function around a curve would be the area under the boundary of the vector function at all points associated with the curve.
A Dhingra
hello..

I understand what line integral of a real function mean (the area) as well explained in https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=115057
(Mentioning this link because there line integral of a real function has been explained.)

I was trying to understand what would the vector line integral graphically mean.

Like evaluate ∫F.dr where F is = x2 i+xy j over c which is a square in the z plane bounded by lines x=0,x=a,y=0,y=a in the counterclockwise direction.

The result would be a3/2.

What would this mean graphically??

Please explain

Physics news on Phys.org
A Dhingra said:
hello..

I understand what line integral of a real function mean (the area) as well explained in https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=115057
(Mentioning this link because there line integral of a real function has been explained.)
Area is one common application of the integral. It is NOT the "meaning".

I was trying to understand what would the vector line integral graphically mean.

Like evaluate ∫F.dr where F is = x2 i+xy j over c which is a square in the z plane bounded by lines x=0,x=a,y=0,y=a in the counterclockwise direction.

The result would be a3/2.
No, it isn't. It is a2/2. Was that "3" a typo?

What would this mean graphically??
"Graphically", one could interpret it as the area of the region swept out by the vector function as it moves along the curve. In your title, you say "Physical meaning". The most common application is interpreting the vector being integrated as a force vector, calculating the total work done by the force along the path.

Please explain
But I want to emphasize, again, that these are possible "interpretations" or "applications" of the path integral. Mathematical methods do not, in general, have specific graphical or physical "meanings".

HallsofIvy said:
"Graphically", one could interpret it as the area of the region swept out by the vector function as it moves along the curve.

What about a Vector A = x i + y j and its line integral over the curve c, which is a circle of say radius r centered at the origin? Here (A.dr) will be zero and hence the integral will also be zero. Then interpreting it as the area of the region swept by the vector function moving along the curve does not satisfy this example..

Can you please explain this method of interpretation using a simple example?
(Because i am not able to do it myself..)

Yeah, to find the area of a curve, you'd have to integrate [itex]r \times dr[/itex], not a dot product.

So what would line integration be interpreted as? Just a line...may be

But if i consider a vector A= -y i + x j, around a circle c of radius a centered at the origin, the line integral would yield 2 times the area of the circle...
It seems for different vector functions the line integration yields different interpretation of line integration !

This should emphasize that integrals are a way of doing a calculation; the "physical interpretation" of an integral depends on the geometry that drives the calculation in the first place. Integrals themselves have no intrinsic interpretation. The idea that 1D integrals calculate areas under curves is the way it's often taught, yes, but only because this is a geometry that requires that integral.

So it can't be interpreted? Then what do we want when we are solving a line integral, What should be expected from its outcome?

Without any other information about what the quantities signify and what geometry is being represented, all that you should expect to get from an integral is a number.

I happen to find a demonstration of line integral at the link:
http://demonstrations.wolfram.com/IntegratingAVectorFieldAlongACurve/

And it appears to me as if the graphical aspect or interpretation of line integral of a vector is the area under the boundary of the vector function at all required points associated with the curve c or path a to b..
The area may be negative when the vectors are pointing in the negative direction or may be zero when they cancel out..

So Please have a look at the demonstration and please tell me if i am headed on the right track or am i making some mistake in interpreting it..

Am i making some silly error in trying to graphically interpret this?
Someone please tell me whether this is right or not?

Related to Physical meaning of vector line integration

1. What is the physical meaning of vector line integration?

Vector line integration is a mathematical concept used in physics to calculate the total effect of a vector field along a specific path or curve. It represents the cumulative sum of the vector values at each point along the curve, taking into account both magnitude and direction.

2. How is vector line integration different from regular line integration?

Regular line integration involves calculating the area under a curve, while vector line integration takes into account both magnitude and direction of the vector field. It is used to analyze physical quantities such as force, velocity, and displacement along a specific path.

3. What are some real-world applications of vector line integration?

Vector line integration is used in various fields of physics, such as electromagnetism, fluid mechanics, and quantum mechanics. It is also commonly used in engineering, particularly in the design and analysis of structures and systems.

4. How is vector line integration related to work and energy?

Work is defined as the product of force and displacement, and energy is the ability to do work. Vector line integration allows us to calculate the work done by a vector field along a specific path, which can then be used to determine the change in energy of a system.

5. Can you provide an example of vector line integration in action?

One example of vector line integration is the calculation of the work done by a force field on an object as it moves along a curved path. This can be used to determine the change in kinetic energy of the object, or to analyze the efficiency of a mechanical system.