What Distance x Gives the Least Period for a Physical Pendulum?

In summary, in this conversation, the question is about finding the least period of oscillation for a stick of length 1.6m as a physical pendulum, and what value of distance x between its center of mass and pivot point O would give the least period. The equation for a physical pendulum is mentioned and the attempt at a solution involves using the moment of inertia of the center of mass and the pivot point. The final equation for the least period is also provided.
ghetto_bird25

Homework Statement

In Fig. 16-41, a stick of length L = 1.6 m oscillates as a physical pendulum. (a) What value of distance x between the stick's center of mass and its pivot point O gives the least period? (b) What is that least period?
http://edugen.wiley.com/edugen/courses/crs1141/art/qb/qu/c16/Fig15_46.gif

Homework Equations

well I'm assuming you have to use the equation for a a physical pendulum which is
T= 2pi [tex]\sqrt{I/mgh}[/tex]
where I is the rotational inertia, m is the mass, g is gravity, and h is the distance between the axis of rotation and the centre of the pendulum.

The Attempt at a Solution

i tried using that equation but i don't understand the value for I because I am assuming if the value for h changes then the other end of the rod changes as well.

Physics news on Phys.org
Moment of Inertia of the center of mass is

[tex]I_0=\frac{mL^2}{12}[/tex]

If it is pivoted distance x from the centre

[tex]I=I_0+mx^2[/tex]

[tex]T=2\pi\sqrt{\frac{I}{mgx}}=2\pi\sqrt{\frac{I_0+mx^2}{mgx}}[/tex]

for T minimum we have
[tex]\frac{dT}{dx}=0[/tex]

I would like to clarify that the value of I in the equation for a physical pendulum is the moment of inertia, which is a measure of an object's resistance to rotational motion. It takes into account the distribution of mass around the axis of rotation. In this case, the moment of inertia for a thin rod rotating about one end (or pivot point) is given by I = (1/3)ML^2, where M is the mass of the rod and L is its length.

Now, to find the least period for the physical pendulum, we need to minimize the expression for T with respect to the variable x. This can be done by taking the derivative of T with respect to x and setting it equal to zero. After some algebraic manipulation, we get x = (2/3)L, which means that the distance between the center of mass and the pivot point should be 2/3 of the length of the rod.

Substituting this value of x into the equation for T, we get the least period to be T = 2pi \sqrt{(1/3)g}. This means that the least period for the physical pendulum is independent of the length of the rod and only depends on the acceleration due to gravity.

In conclusion, the distance between the center of mass and the pivot point that gives the least period for a physical pendulum is 2/3 of the length of the rod, and the least period itself is given by T = 2pi \sqrt{(1/3)g}.

Related to What Distance x Gives the Least Period for a Physical Pendulum?

1. What is a physical pendulum?

A physical pendulum is a type of pendulum that consists of a rigid body attached to a pivot point. It is used to study the relationship between the motion of a pendulum and its physical properties, such as its mass and length.

2. How is the period of a physical pendulum measured?

The period of a physical pendulum is measured by timing the number of oscillations it makes in a given amount of time. This time can be measured using a stopwatch or a device called a pendulum timer.

3. What factors affect the period of a physical pendulum?

The period of a physical pendulum is affected by its length, mass, and the acceleration due to gravity. Other factors such as air resistance and friction can also affect the period.

4. How does the least period of a physical pendulum differ from its natural period?

The least period of a physical pendulum refers to the shortest period it can have, which is when it is rotating around its center of mass. The natural period, on the other hand, refers to the period when the pendulum is rotating around a point that is not its center of mass.

5. How is the period of a physical pendulum affected by changing its pivot point?

Changing the pivot point of a physical pendulum can affect its period. Moving the pivot point closer to the center of mass will decrease the period, while moving it further away will increase the period. This is because the pivot point affects the moment of inertia of the pendulum, which is a factor in determining its period.