Physics 100A Problem about firing a bullet

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of equations to solve a problem involving a bullet passing through a board. The person has been working on the problem for an hour and is having trouble finding the correct setup. They mention using equations for velocity and displacement, but are unsure of the correct way to use them. They also mention a large and seemingly incorrect acceleration value.
calculushelp
I have been working on this problem for an hour and have no clue what to do.
I try to use equations such as

v = v0 + at Velocity as a function of time
delta x = (v0)(t) = 1/2(a)(t^2) Displacement as a function of time
v62 = v0^2 + 2(a)(delta x) Velocity as a function of displacement

but nothing as been working...

A bullet is fired through a board 13 cm thick in such a way that the bullet’s line of the
motion is perpendicular to the face of the board. The initial speed of the bullet is 350 m/s
and it merges from the other side of the board with a speed of 250 m/s.

a.Find the acceleration of the bullet as it passes through the board.
b.Find the total time the bullet is in contact with the board.

thank you to anyone that is will to help. :approve:

Physics news on Phys.org
You have to use third and first equation, among the equations which you have written.

Yeah, I have been using those equations.
But I guess every time my set up is wrong
and I got a crazy answer for acceleration
like -230000. So can yo please show me
how to do it the correct way?

thank you

Looks correct to me; the acceleration of the bullet is that large - its velocity decreased by 100m/s in just a short span of time approximately of the order of 10^-4 seconds.

Related to Physics 100A Problem about firing a bullet

1. How does the mass of a bullet affect its velocity?

The mass of a bullet does not directly affect its velocity. However, a heavier bullet will have a higher inertia and thus require more force to accelerate to a certain velocity compared to a lighter bullet of the same shape and size.

2. What is the relationship between velocity and kinetic energy of a fired bullet?

The kinetic energy of a fired bullet is directly proportional to its velocity squared. This means that as the velocity of a bullet increases, its kinetic energy increases at a much higher rate.

3. How does air resistance affect the trajectory of a fired bullet?

Air resistance, also known as drag, can significantly affect the trajectory of a fired bullet. As the bullet travels through the air, it experiences a force in the opposite direction of its motion due to air resistance. This can cause the bullet to slow down and deviate from its intended path.

4. What factors determine the maximum range of a fired bullet?

The maximum range of a fired bullet is determined by various factors such as the initial velocity, angle of elevation, air resistance, and gravity. Other factors such as wind speed and direction can also affect the maximum range of a bullet.

5. How does the shape of a bullet affect its flight trajectory?

The shape of a bullet can significantly impact its flight trajectory. A more streamlined and aerodynamic shape can help reduce air resistance and maintain a more stable trajectory, while a less streamlined shape may experience more drag and deviation from its intended path.