Physics 12 vector (sin law, cos law) problem

In summary, the conversation discusses the explosion of an object into three equal masses and the calculation of the velocity of the third mass. The process involves drawing vectors and using cos and sin laws to determine the velocity vector and angle. The importance of making explicit assumptions is also mentioned.
gdhillon
:An object explodes into three equal masses. One mass moves East at a velocity of 15.0
m/s. If a second mass moves at a velocity of 10.0 m/s 45.0 South of East, what is the
velocity of the third mass?

I drew these vectors tip to tail, then used cos law to determine the velocity vector of the first mass, c^2=a^2+b^2-2abcosC...subing in numbers i got c^2=15^2+10^2-2(15)(10)cos45
c^2=325-300cos45= 10.625. then by using sin law i got the angle. sin45/10=sinc/10.239 giving me 11m/s @49 degrees S of E

Physics news on Phys.org
Cool - did you have a question?
In order to provide you with advice we need to know what your concern is ... otherwise you are just inviting random comment that may or may not be useful to you. Please post a question.

Notice that there is an implicit assumption in your working that you will need to make explicit if this is a long-answer.

Last edited:
'yeah, what he said'.

Well was the sum zero?

Actually I think just sketching all three vectors on an axis should tell us right away if it's right ...

Yes, I skimmed over the top to tail part, I invisioned them all emminating from a point of origin.

Related to Physics 12 vector (sin law, cos law) problem

1. How do you solve a Physics 12 vector problem using the sine law?

The sine law is used to solve for missing sides or angles in a triangle when two sides and their corresponding angles are known. To use the sine law, set up a proportion with the known sides and angles and their corresponding ratios. Then, solve for the unknown side or angle using cross-multiplication.

2. Can the cosine law be used to solve any triangle?

Yes, the cosine law can be used to solve any triangle, regardless of its shape or size. This law is especially useful when dealing with triangles that are not right triangles, as it allows for the calculation of missing sides and angles using only the lengths of the sides.

3. What is the difference between the sine law and the cosine law?

The sine law is used to solve for missing sides or angles in a triangle when two sides and their corresponding angles are known. The cosine law, on the other hand, is used to solve for missing sides or angles when only the lengths of the sides are known. The two laws use different ratios and can be used to solve different types of problems.

4. When should I use the sine law versus the cosine law?

The sine law is typically used when dealing with triangles that have an angle opposite a known side and the corresponding angle. The cosine law is used when dealing with triangles that only have the lengths of the sides known. Both laws have their own specific uses and it is important to identify the type of problem before deciding which law to use.

5. Are there any common mistakes to avoid when using the sine law and cosine law?

One common mistake when using the sine law and cosine law is mixing up the ratios. It is important to remember that the sine law uses the ratio of the side opposite the angle to the known side, while the cosine law uses the ratio of the product of two sides and the cosine of the angle between them. It is also important to keep track of units when using these laws, as they can result in incorrect answers if not used consistently.