Physics 20-1 Final Review: Projectiles

In summary, the problem involves finding the height of a cliff based on the horizontal velocity, distance traveled, and acceleration of an object thrown from the top of the cliff. Various equations of motion can be used to solve for the height, such as d = v1t + 1/2at^2 and s_y = 1/2 * g * (s_x/v)^2 + s_{oy}. With careful calculations, the height of the cliff is approximately 151.39 m.
physicznoob

Homework Statement

This question is something we got in our review booklet and I HATE projectile motion.

An object is thrown horizontally with a velocity of 18 m/s from the top of a cliff. If the object hits the ground 100 m from the base of of the cliff, how high is the cliff?

Homework Equations

d = v1t + 1/2at^2, v = d/t

The Attempt at a Solution

I try to break it up into components(vertical and horizontal) but nothing seems to work.

I used the equation d = 1/2v1 + 1/2at^2 to solve for t, because obviously the initial velocity is 0 m/s, but i end up with a far-fetched answer.

Physics news on Phys.org
for some reason i have the same question, if you help me in my two threads, ill help you with yours. I'm beast at projectile motion

so we're bargaining now? lol.

1.You don't have any acceleration in the x direction so you can use that to find t.
The fall ends when the object has traveld 100 m in the x direction at a constant velocity
2. The equation is not correct d=v0t+(1/2)a*t2

i still don't get it

okay its thrown horizontally so no Vi in the Y direction
g is -9.8
you have distance in the x direction for 100m
you need the velocity in the x direction and now you solve for time vx = 18ms
T = dx/vx so 100/18 = T in seconds

then now solve for distance in the y direction
D = viy*t +1/2(-9.8)(t^2) viy = 0 so solve for T and then solve for D

i think this should be right but I am not sure

now you got to help me more I am still confused :(

You can use a frame of reference [tex](X,Y)[/tex] with origin [tex](0,0)[/tex] in the cliff and the point [tex]P(0,s_{oy})[/tex] is where the projectile will be thrown.
Equation of motion respect to X and Y are:[tex]
\begin{align*}
s_x=v_ox*t + s_{ox}\\
s_y=\frac{1}{2} * g * t^2 + v_{oy}*t+s_{oy}
\end{align*}
[/tex]but in according to my frame of reference [tex]s_{ox}=0[/tex]. Nevertheless [tex]v_{ox}=0[/tex] and [tex]v_{oy}=0[/tex]. You can make the equation of motion explicit in the following way (t disappeared):

[tex]
s_y=\frac{1}{2} * g * \frac{s_x^2}{v^2} + s_{oy}
[/tex]

but where the projectile falls in ground

[tex]s_y=0[/tex]

then:

[tex] - \frac{1}{2} * g * \frac{s_x^2}{v^2} = s_{oy} [/tex]

if you replace [tex]s_x[/tex] and [tex]v[/tex] given by the problem you will have [tex]s_{oy}[/tex] which is the height of the cliff from which the stuff is thrown (if I have done no error it should be approximately 151.39 m).

Last edited:

Related to Physics 20-1 Final Review: Projectiles

1. What is the definition of a projectile in physics?

A projectile is any object that is thrown, shot, or otherwise propelled through the air and is subject to the force of gravity. It follows a curved path known as a trajectory.

2. How do you calculate the horizontal and vertical components of a projectile's velocity?

The horizontal component of a projectile's velocity is calculated using the equation Vx = Vcosθ, where V is the initial velocity and θ is the launch angle. The vertical component of velocity is calculated using Vy = Vsinθ, where V is the initial velocity and θ is the launch angle.

3. What is the difference between range and maximum height in projectile motion?

Range is the horizontal distance traveled by a projectile before it hits the ground, while maximum height is the highest point reached by the projectile during its flight.

4. How can you determine the time of flight for a projectile?

The time of flight for a projectile can be determined using the equation t = 2Vy/g, where Vy is the vertical component of velocity and g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2).

5. What are the main factors that influence the trajectory of a projectile?

The main factors that influence the trajectory of a projectile are the initial velocity, launch angle, and the force of gravity. Other factors like air resistance and wind can also have an impact.