Physics 2D kinematics problem, w/rockets

In summary, the conversation discusses the design of a missile defense system that uses a Patriot Rocket to shoot down incoming missiles. The rocket has a set angle of 53.0 degrees and its acceleration is given by the formula a=Ce^-bt, where C can be adjusted and b=0.40 s^-1. The goal is to find the value of C that will allow the rocket to hit an incoming missile traveling at a constant speed of 795.0 m/s and passing over the defense base at a height of 4.80 km. The solution involves using the usual constant acceleration equations twice, once for the horizontal and once for the vertical components. It is unclear whether the acceleration formula includes gravity or if it needs to be
ebbybeh

Homework Statement

You are designing a missile defense system that will shoot down incoming missiles that pass over a perimeter defense post. The set-up is shown below. An incoming missile passes directly above the defense base. Radar at the base can measure the height, h, and speed, v1, of the incoming missile. Your Patriot Rocket is set to fire at an angle of Theta= 53.0 degrees from vertical. You design the Patriot Rocket so the magnitude of its acceleration is given by:
a=Ce^−bt
where C can be set on your Patriot Rocket as it is fired, and b = 0.40 s^-1. The direction of your Patriot Rocket's vector acceleration stays at the same angle, θ, for the entire trip. If an incoming missile passes over the defense base at a height of 4.80 km and at a constant speed of 795.0 m/s (this means that v1 is constant), solve for the value of C your Patriot Rocket must have in order to hit the incoming missile. You will also need to enter results from intermediate steps of your calculation, including the time t in between launch and impact, and the horizontal distance x from the launch station to the impact position.

Homework Equations

a=Ce^−bt

-The usual kinematics equation

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried this in a couple different ways for the past hour with no success. The first way was to use the position kinematic equation for the y direction, but since the acceleration formula has two variables i couldn't go further. I tried it from the incoming rockets y position but since we assume its staying in a straight line, i got t=0. I don't know how to integrate the acceleration formula above since there are two variables. Any tips on solving would be much appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hi ebbybeh! Welcome to PF! :smile:

(try using the X2 tag just above the Reply box :wink:)

With motion at an angle to gravity, just use the usual constant acceleration equations twice, once horizontally (with a = 0, of course) and once vertically (with a = g). :smile:

But doesn't the equation provide you with acceleration, or do you not have to use it

(just got up :zzz: …)
ebbybeh said:
But doesn't the equation provide you with acceleration, or do you not have to use it

oh, sorry :redface:, I should have said: add g to the vertical component of the rocket's acceleration, but use the horizontal component on its own …

the important thing is to use the usual constant acceleration equations twice. :smile:

(actually, looking at the question again, I'm not even sure that's right … is Ce−bt just the acceleration from the engines, so that you have to add g to it, vertically, or is it the total acceleration, including gravity? :confused:)

tiny-tim said:
(just got up :zzz: …)

oh, sorry :redface:, I should have said: add g to the vertical component of the rocket's acceleration, but use the horizontal component on its own …

the important thing is to use the usual constant acceleration equations twice. :smile:

(actually, looking at the question again, I'm not even sure that's right … is Ce−bt just the acceleration from the engines, so that you have to add g to it, vertically, or is it the total acceleration, including gravity? :confused:)

I'm not sure either, but I was completely replacing the acceleration in both the x and y directions for Ce^-bt. I'll try again and see what happens:)

Related to Physics 2D kinematics problem, w/rockets

1. How do you calculate the initial velocity of a rocket in a 2D kinematics problem?

The initial velocity of a rocket in a 2D kinematics problem can be calculated using the formula v = v0 + at, where v0 is the initial velocity, a is the acceleration, and t is the time. If the rocket is launched from rest, the initial velocity will be 0.

2. What is the equation for calculating the maximum height reached by a rocket in a 2D kinematics problem?

The equation for calculating the maximum height reached by a rocket in a 2D kinematics problem is h = (v02sin2θ)/2g, where v0 is the initial velocity, θ is the launch angle, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

3. How can you determine the time it takes for a rocket to hit the ground in a 2D kinematics problem?

The time it takes for a rocket to hit the ground in a 2D kinematics problem can be determined by using the quadratic formula t = (-v0sinθ ± √(v02sin2θ + 2gh))/g, where v0 is the initial velocity, θ is the launch angle, and h is the maximum height reached.

4. How does air resistance affect the motion of a rocket in a 2D kinematics problem?

Air resistance or drag will affect the motion of a rocket in a 2D kinematics problem by slowing it down. This will cause the rocket to have a shorter range and a shorter flight time compared to if there was no air resistance. The magnitude of the effect of air resistance will depend on the rocket's shape, size, and speed.

5. Can you use the same equations for solving 2D kinematics problems involving rockets launched from different heights?

Yes, the same equations can be used for solving 2D kinematics problems involving rockets launched from different heights. However, the initial height will need to be taken into account when calculating the time and maximum height reached. The initial velocity will also change depending on the initial height.