Physics Behind the Flutterbye Flower Fairy

• Thread starter Jzimerman16
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, the toy mentioned is a helicopter-like device that uses wings to generate lift, counter-rotating wings to prevent spinning, and an optical sensor to control its movement. It is sensitive to light levels in the room and can be controlled by using objects as landing pads. The ground sensor is likely used to prevent the toy from flying too high.
Jzimerman16
Hi,
I was wondering what the physics is behind the https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DK25M6C/?tag=pfamazon01-20. I am specifically talking about this toy
m0scm9z__YMmUDk9-ZRN_yA.jpg

Besides the battery or whatever is used to propel it, what other natural forces/laws apply to this toy? I have tried to draw a free body diagram to come up with the answer, but I seem to not be able to find out the reason.

- Jacob

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Jacob.

The wings generate lift to counter gravity.
The effect of increased lift when close to a surface(like a hand) is probably the ground effect(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ground_effect_(aerodynamics)). I couldn't find out exactly how the toy is built, but I'd assume the second set of wings in the centre is counter-rotating to cancel the torque on the body induced by the other set(so that the body doesn't spin).
That should be all there is to it.

However, the instructional video for the toy that I watched said that the toy "is sensitive to light levels in the room, including the colour of the floor". I've no idea what are they talking about.

Jzimerman16 said:
I have tried to draw a free body diagram to come up with the answer, but I seem to not be able to find out the reason.
Have you heard of these?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Helicopter

Bandersnatch said:
However, the instructional video for the toy that I watched said that the toy "is sensitive to light levels in the room, including the colour of the floor". I've no idea what are they talking about.
It's obviously not just controlled by the ground effect, but an optical sensor looking down.

Duh, of course! Cheers A.T.

Bandersnatch said:
the toy "is sensitive to light levels in the room, including the colour of the floor". I've no idea what are they talking about.
Before the Barbie version came out, I saw a similar item on a "high-tech toys" segment of Daily Planet. It was part of a game wherein two people use things similar to ping-pong paddles as "landing pads" to steer the machine around, pass it back and forth, play keep-away, or whatever. The floor colour issue is probably because excessive absorption/reflection of the optical sensor frequency would mess up control.

So what would you guys say is the final explanation to how this thing works?

Jzimerman16 said:
So what would you guys say is the final explanation to how this thing works?
It's just a helicopter, like the remote control ones that are so popular out there these days, except it has no remote control.
$(KGrHqR,!hoFBs0Pd1qoBQurv7JMtg~~60_35.JPG

I honestly had no idea it had a ground sensor. I guess that's to ensure it doesn't go over the rooftops and disappear.

DaveC426913 said:
I guess that's to ensure it doesn't go over the rooftops and disappear.
Actually, I think that it's to make it hover over the user's hand or paddle.

Related to Physics Behind the Flutterbye Flower Fairy

1. What is the principle of physics behind the Flutterbye Flower Fairy?

The Flutterbye Flower Fairy works on the principle of Bernoulli's principle. This principle states that when the speed of a fluid increases, the pressure exerted by the fluid decreases. In the case of the Flutterbye Flower Fairy, the air moving at a high speed around the wings creates a low-pressure area, causing the fairy to lift off the ground and fly.

2. How does the Flutterbye Flower Fairy stay in the air?

The Flutterbye Flower Fairy stays in the air by flapping its wings at a high speed, creating a low-pressure area above the wings. This low-pressure area allows the fairy to stay afloat and move through the air.

3. How does the Flutterbye Flower Fairy change direction?

The Flutterbye Flower Fairy can change direction by adjusting the angle of its wings. By tilting its wings in different directions, the fairy can control the airflow and change its direction of flight.

4. What materials are used to make the Flutterbye Flower Fairy?

The Flutterbye Flower Fairy is made of lightweight materials such as plastic, foam, and fabric. These materials make the fairy light enough to be lifted by the air and allow it to fly smoothly.

5. How does the Flutterbye Flower Fairy land?

The Flutterbye Flower Fairy lands by reducing the speed of its wings, causing the air pressure to increase and slowing down its flight. The fairy then gently glides to the ground, using its wings to control its descent.