Physics: Blocks on inclines connected by pulley problem

In summary, at constant speed, the kinetic friction forces are the same for the two blocks, but the tension in the cord connecting the blocks is different.
Jamest39

Homework Statement

495x250xpulley_prob_6.png.pagespeed.ic.wKnVT_8Pko.png
[/B]
The two blocks are moving rightward at a constant speed along their inclined surfaces. The coefficient of kinetic friction is the same for both blocks. a) Determine the coefficient of kinetic friction. b) Determine the tension in the cord that connects the blocks to one another.
M=4kg; m=5kg; θ_1=28°; θ_2=36°

Homework Equations

∑F = ma
kinetic friction = μN

The Attempt at a Solution

Let N_1 = normal force of block M; N_2 = normal force of block m; f_1 = kinetic friction of block M; f_2 = kinetic friction of block m.
For block M:
∑Fy = M*0 = (N_1) - M * g * cos(θ_1) ⇒ N_1 = M * g * cos(θ_1)
ΣFx = M * a = T - (f_1) - M * g * sin(θ_1)
For block m:
ΣFy = m*0 = (N_2) - m * g * cos(θ_2) ⇒ N_2 = m * g * cos(θ_2)
ΣFx = m * a = (f_2) - T + m * g * sin (θ_2)

f_1 = μ * M * g * cos(θ_1)
f_2 = μ * m * g * cos(θ_2)

Since the acceleration, the kinetic friction forces, the coefficient of kinetic friction, and tension are all unknown, I couldn't come up with any way to isolate any of those values to solve for it.

Physics news on Phys.org
Jamest39 said:

Homework Statement

View attachment 97041 [/B]
The two blocks are moving rightward at a constant speed along their inclined surfaces. The coefficient of kinetic friction is the same for both blocks. a) Determine the coefficient of kinetic friction. b) Determine the tension in the cord that connects the blocks to one another.
M=4kg; m=5kg; θ_1=28°; θ_2=36°

Homework Equations

∑F = ma
kinetic friction = μN

The Attempt at a Solution

Let N_1 = normal force of block M; N_2 = normal force of block m; f_1 = kinetic friction of block M; f_2 = kinetic friction of block m.
For block M:
∑Fy = M*0 = (N_1) - M * g * cos(θ_1) ⇒ N_1 = M * g * cos(θ_1)
ΣFx = M * a = T - (f_1) - M * g * sin(θ_1)
For block m:
ΣFy = m*0 = (N_2) - m * g * cos(θ_2) ⇒ N_2 = m * g * cos(θ_2)
ΣFx = m * a = (f_2) - T + m * g * sin (θ_2)

f_1 = μ * M * g * cos(θ_1)
f_2 = μ * m * g * cos(θ_2)

Since the acceleration, the kinetic friction forces, the coefficient of kinetic friction, and tension are all unknown, I couldn't come up with any way to isolate any of those values to solve for it.

Try adding your two equations for the force in the x directions together - this will eliminate the tension.
Also, I for the Fx on the block m, the friction should be opposing the motion and be negative.
One key word in the problem you may have missed: CONSTANT speed. So this means that the acceleration is 0.

Likes Jamest39
mattbeatlefreak said:
Try adding your two equations for the force in the x directions together - this will eliminate the tension.
Also, I for the Fx on the block m, the friction should be opposing the motion and be negative.
One key word in the problem you may have missed: CONSTANT speed. So this means that the acceleration is 0.

Ah, I see that the friction would be negative there too, I made a mistake drawing my free body diagram of that one. And yes! Constant velocity means that the acceleration is 0, I guess this problem was a lot easier than I thought it was. Thanks!

Related to Physics: Blocks on inclines connected by pulley problem

1. What is the purpose of using pulleys in this physics problem?

The pulley system in this problem is used to redistribute the weight of the blocks, allowing for a simpler calculation of forces and acceleration. It also allows for a direct comparison between the forces acting on the two blocks.

2. How do you determine the net force acting on the system?

To determine the net force, you must first identify all the forces acting on the system, including the weight of each block, the tension in the rope, and any frictional forces. Then, use Newton's second law (F=ma) to calculate the net force, taking into account the acceleration of the system.

3. How does the angle of the incline affect the acceleration of the blocks?

The angle of the incline affects the acceleration of the blocks by changing the component of the weight force that acts parallel to the incline. As the angle increases, the component of the weight force acting down the incline decreases, resulting in a smaller acceleration.

4. What is the role of friction in this problem?

Friction plays a role in slowing down the acceleration of the blocks. As the blocks move down the incline, friction acts in the opposite direction, creating a resistive force that must be overcome by the net force in order to keep the blocks moving.

5. Can this problem be solved using basic kinematic equations?

Yes, this problem can be solved using basic kinematic equations, such as those used to calculate displacement, velocity, and acceleration. However, it may be more efficient to use Newton's laws and the concept of forces to solve this type of problem.