Physics book like spivak's calculus

In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of finding physics and calculus books on multivariables as rigorous as Spivak's calculus. Some suggestions mentioned include Schwinger's text, Fleming's "Functions in several variables", Spivak's 'Calculus on Manifolds', Munkre's 'Analysis on Manifolds', and Bachman's 'A Geometric Approach to Differential Forms'. It is recommended to have a strong background in linear algebra before attempting these books.
Bashir Saddad
Hello,
I am studying electromagnetism and I can't skip a topic and go to the next unless I learn it. Can anyone please suggest a physics book and a calculus book on multivariables as rigorous as spivak's calculus?
thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Bashir Saddad said:
Hello,
I am studying electromagnetism and I can't skip a topic and go to the next unless I learn it. Can anyone please suggest a physics book and a calculus book on multivariables as rigorous as spivak's calculus?
thanks
https://www.amazon.com/dp/0738200565/?tag=pfamazon01-20

clope023 said:

This book is very difficult to read. Schwinger is famous for treating physics "overly formal". I attempted it a few years ago and quickly gave up, realizing I needed more math ( I resorted to Morse&Feshbach which led to another disaster...)

sunjin09 said:
This book is very difficult to read. Schwinger is famous for treating physics "overly formal". I attempted it a few years ago and quickly gave up, realizing I needed more math ( I resorted to Morse&Feshbach which led to another disaster...)

I see what you mean, I tend to like formal rigour so Schwinger's text seems right up my alley. I wouldn't have even looked at it unless I had my courses in complex variables, PDE's and Fourier analysis though and even skimming the book seems very daunting. For a junior senior undergrad without as much math probably wangsness is a better text.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0471811866/?tag=pfamazon01-20

For multivariable, I can recommend Fleming's "Functions in several variables". Quite rigorous and complete book, but also elementary. It goes right up to proving Stokes theorem.

Spivak's 'Calculus on Manifolds' is a multivariable calculus book similar in rigor to Spivak's 'Calculus', as is Munkre's 'Analysis on Manifolds'. You should be able to handle the first 3 chapters of Calc on Manifolds with little issue (no issue if you have some linear algebra under your belt). Chapters 4 and 5 are much more difficult IMO.

You can try going right into them, but if it turns out to be too much Bachman's 'A Geometric Approach to Differential Forms' is a more elementary (but less rigorous) guide to the subject matter of these chapters. You could read this to get a feel for the material, and then go back to Calculus on Manifolds. If I recall correctly, both books are around 130 pages. Bachman's book mostly has problems with calculations as opposed to proofs, which would also be useful.

FAQ: Physics book like spivak's calculus

1. What makes Spivak's Calculus book unique compared to other physics books?

Spivak's Calculus is known for its rigorous and theoretical approach to teaching calculus concepts. It delves into the foundations of calculus and emphasizes the importance of understanding the underlying principles rather than just memorizing formulas. This makes it a valuable resource for students who want a deeper understanding of calculus and its applications in physics.

2. Is Spivak's Calculus book suitable for beginners in physics?

While Spivak's Calculus may be challenging for beginners, it can still be a useful resource with proper guidance and a strong foundation in mathematics. It is recommended for students who are willing to put in the effort to understand the concepts and are looking for a more comprehensive understanding of calculus in physics.

3. Are there any prerequisites for using Spivak's Calculus book?

Spivak's Calculus assumes a strong background in algebra, trigonometry, and basic calculus concepts such as limits and derivatives. It also requires a solid understanding of mathematical proofs. It is recommended for students who have completed at least one year of college-level calculus.

4. Does Spivak's Calculus book cover advanced topics in physics?

Spivak's Calculus focuses primarily on the concepts and principles of calculus, rather than specific applications in physics. However, it does cover topics such as vector calculus, which is essential for understanding advanced physics concepts such as electromagnetism and relativity.

5. Is Spivak's Calculus book suitable for self-study?

Spivak's Calculus can be used for self-study, but it is recommended to have a strong foundation in mathematics and access to additional resources for practice and clarification. It is also beneficial to have a study partner or tutor to discuss and work through challenging concepts.