Physics bullet in wood; I can't figure it out?

In summary, a .002 kg bullet is traveling at 87 m/s, after passing through a 4 cm block of wood its speed is 12 m/s. The block causes a force of -185.62500 N on the bullet.

Homework Statement

I can't figure this one out. I can't use any of Newtons laws to solve this, kinetic formulas, and w=Em+Ek doesn't seem to be working for energy. I know the answer, but I can't solve it.

kg = kilogram
m/s = meters per second
m = meter

A 0.002kg bullet is traveling at 87 m/s, after passing through a 4 cm block of wood its speed is 12 m/s.

a) How much work is lost due to friction (Answer is -7.4 J but I can't solve it mathematically)
b) Average force of block (Answer is -180 N)

Homework Equations

a) For work lost due to friction I'm guessing they want to know the air resistance, I have no idea how to do this part

b) Average force of block:
wcd = (.5*12^2)-(.5*87^2) = -3 712.5 J

P = w/t but the only problem is no time is supplied. I'm not quite sure what to do

The Attempt at a Solution

a) .5 * 87^2 = .5 * 12^2

Physics news on Phys.org
Work isn't lost, it's "done." Energy is lost. Do you know the work-energy theorem (I'm not sure if the w=Em+Ek is supposed to be some form of that)?

a) KEoriginal must equal the workfriction + KEafter
b) You must find the a that the block causes on the bullet first. Use v22 = v12 + 2ad to solve for a.

S_Happens said:
Work isn't lost, it's "done." Energy is lost. Do you know the work-energy theorem (I'm not sure if the w=Em+Ek is supposed to be some form of that)?

Yes, W = Ek2 - Ek1 = 1/2m(v2^2-v1^2)
1/2 * 0.002 * (87^2-12^2) = 7.4 J. I can't believe I forgot about that. Thank you.

tal444 said:
a) KEoriginal must equal the workfriction + KEafter
b) You must find the a that the block causes on the bullet first. Use v22 = v12 + 2ad to solve for a.

I can't solve for a because I don't have the displacement or such, unless it is 4 CM?

87^2 = 12^2 + 2 * a * 0.04

7425/0.08 = a
a = 92 812.5

F = 0.002 * 92 812.5 = 185.62500 N

Thank you for the help, I really appreciate it

Last edited:
Nicely done, and glad to be of help.

Related to Physics bullet in wood; I can't figure it out?

1. What is the principle behind a physics bullet in wood?

The principle behind a physics bullet in wood is the conservation of momentum. When a bullet is fired into a piece of wood, the bullet transfers its momentum to the wood. This causes the wood to move in the opposite direction of the bullet, creating a hole in the wood.

2. How does the speed of the bullet affect its penetration into the wood?

The speed of the bullet has a direct impact on its penetration into the wood. The faster the bullet is moving, the more kinetic energy it possesses, and the deeper it will penetrate into the wood.

3. What factors determine the amount of damage caused by a physics bullet in wood?

The amount of damage caused by a physics bullet in wood is determined by several factors, including the speed and size of the bullet, the density and type of wood, and the distance the bullet travels through the wood. Additionally, the angle at which the bullet enters the wood can also impact the amount of damage.

4. How does the density of the wood affect the bullet's trajectory?

The density of the wood plays a significant role in the bullet's trajectory. The denser the wood, the more resistance the bullet will face, causing it to slow down and potentially change direction. This is why certain types of wood, such as hardwood, are more difficult to penetrate with a bullet than others.

5. What is the difference between a physics bullet in wood and a bullet in other materials?

The main difference between a bullet in wood and a bullet in other materials is the amount of resistance the bullet encounters. Wood is a relatively soft and porous material, so a bullet will typically penetrate deeper into it compared to a bullet in a harder material, such as metal. Additionally, wood may also cause the bullet to fragment or deform, further affecting its trajectory and damage.