Physics: Calculate Emf, Electric Field in Magnetic Field

• MHB
  • Thread starter Fermat1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary: Since the current is causing a force in the opposite direction of the gravitational force, there must be an emf present-in other words, the resistance of the conductor must be greater than 105 ohms.
Fermat1
1)A meter long metal rod of mass m is falling with a constant velocity of 10 m/s. The rod is attached to two conducting rails. Determine the emf if there is a uniform magnetic field directed perpendicular to the motion of the bar. The resistance has a value of 105 ohms.

I don't know how I can do it when the magnetic field is not given

2)A loop of wire is put in a changing magnetic field. The magnetic flux through the loop is given by $4t(t+2)$. The loop is connected to a parallel plate capacitor that has a plate separation of 15mm. Determine the electic field between the plates at time $t=3$ s.

Can I assume that potential difference equal emf if the wire has no resistance?

3)Let $V=(xyt^3T)i+(x^4tT)j$. Find the curl of the magnetic field and the electric field. I've found the curl.
The curl I found to be $-(4x^3t)j+(yt^3)k$ It's sensible to leave out the units T right?

How do I find the electric field?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Fermat said:
1)A meter long metal rod of mass m is falling with a constant velocity of 10 m/s. The rod is attached to two conducting rails. Determine the emf if there is a uniform magnetic field directed perpendicular to the motion of the bar. The resistance has a value of 105 ohms.

It seems to me that if there is no current in the bar, and if there is not change in flux, there won't be an emf.
2)A loop of wire is put in a changing magnetic field. The magnetic flux through the loop is given by $4t(t+2)$. The loop is connected to a parallel plate capacitor that has a plate separation of 15mm. Determine the electic field between the plates at time $t=3$ s.

Can I assume that potential difference equal emf if the wire has no resistance?

That is what I would assume with no more information given.
3)Let $V=(xyt^3T)i+(x^4tT)j$. Find the curl of the magnetic field and the electric field. I've found the curl.
The curl I found to be $-(4x^3t)j+(yt^3)k$ It's sensible to leave out the units T right?

How do I find the electric field?

Since the formula for $V$ contains the unit T, it makes sense to also specify it in an answer. Anyway, since it is an SI unit, it won't hurt much to leave it out.

How did you find the curl of the magnetic field?

And what is being asked exactly? The electric field? Or the curl of the electric field?

Fermat said:

Lenz's Law says that if the flux through the loop is changing then there will be a force to counteract the changing flux. In this case we know that the rod is falling with a constant speed...that is to say that there must be a force on the rod, equal to the weight of the rod, in the upward direction. What does that tell you about the magnetic field?

-Dan

Last edited by a moderator:
I like Serena said:
It seems to me that if there is no current in the bar, and if there is not change in flux, there won't be an emf.

There is a current in the bar-otherwise the bar will accelerate as it falls.
The magnetic force is given by \(\displaystyle iL \times B\), where i is current, L is the bar's length, and B is the magnetic field. The magnetic field is perpendicular to the motion, so the magnitude, \(\displaystyle iLB \sin \theta \), becomes \(\displaystyle iLB\), and the direction, by the right-hand rule, is opposite to the direction of the gravitational force. Since the bar falls with constant velocity, this force is equal in magnitude to the gravitational force. Thus \(\displaystyle iLB=mg\).
But \(\displaystyle i= \frac{\epsilon}{R} \), where \(\displaystyle \epsilon\) is emf. So, Fermat, what do you think you should do now?
Faraday's law, maybe?

1) To calculate the emf (electromotive force) in this scenario, we can use Faraday's law of induction, which states that the emf induced in a closed loop is equal to the rate of change of magnetic flux through the loop. In this case, the magnetic flux is given by the product of the magnetic field strength and the area of the loop, which is equal to the length of the metal rod in this case. So, we can write the equation as: emf = B * L * v, where B is the magnetic field strength, L is the length of the rod, and v is the velocity of the rod. Since the velocity is constant, the emf will also be constant. Therefore, we can calculate the emf by simply multiplying the magnetic field strength by the length of the rod and the velocity.

2) Yes, you can assume that the potential difference is equal to the emf if the wire has no resistance. In this case, the electric field between the plates can be calculated by dividing the potential difference by the distance between the plates. So, in this scenario, the electric field at time t=3s can be calculated by dividing the emf by the plate separation of 15mm.

3) To find the electric field, we can use the relationship between electric field and potential: E = -∇V, where ∇ is the gradient operator and V is the potential. In this scenario, the electric field can be calculated by taking the gradient of the potential given in the question. Since the potential is a function of position, we can use the partial derivative with respect to each coordinate to find the electric field components. So, the electric field can be written as: E = -(∂V/∂x)i -(∂V/∂y)j -(∂V/∂z)k. To find the electric field at a specific point, we can substitute the values of x, y, and z into this equation. Additionally, it is not necessary to include the units of T in the curl calculation as the units will cancel out in the final result.

Related to Physics: Calculate Emf, Electric Field in Magnetic Field

1. What is EMF in physics?

EMF stands for electromotive force, which is the energy per unit charge that is induced in a closed circuit when it is moved through a magnetic field. It is measured in volts (V) and is a fundamental concept in the study of electricity and magnetism.

2. How is EMF calculated?

EMF can be calculated using the equation EMF = Blv, where B is the strength of the magnetic field, l is the length of the conductor moving through the field, and v is the velocity of the conductor. This equation is known as the electromagnetic induction equation.

3. What is an electric field in a magnetic field?

An electric field in a magnetic field refers to the force experienced by a charged particle when it moves through a magnetic field. This force is perpendicular to both the direction of motion and the magnetic field and is known as the Lorentz force. The strength of the electric field is determined by the strength of the magnetic field and the velocity of the charged particle.

4. How do you calculate the electric field in a magnetic field?

The electric field in a magnetic field can be calculated using the equation E = vB, where E is the electric field, v is the velocity of the charged particle, and B is the strength of the magnetic field. This equation is also known as the Lorentz force equation.

5. What are some real-world applications of calculating EMF and electric field in a magnetic field?

Calculating EMF and electric field in a magnetic field is important in many technological applications, such as generators, motors, and transformers. It is also used in medical imaging technologies like MRI machines, which use strong magnetic fields to create images of the body. Additionally, understanding these concepts is crucial for the development of new technologies in fields such as renewable energy, transportation, and communication.