Physics Challenge: Building a Newspaper Structure

In summary, the challenge is to build a structure out of newspaper that can support a 1500.0g weight at its centre point, with duct tape allowed for connections. The criteria for success are the ability to support the weight, the amount of material used, and the span of the structure. The person is considering a cylindrical bridge with triangular trusses, but is unsure how to optimize the span and mass for the highest number of points. They are seeking suggestions on how to approach this dilemma.
Humblepeasant
Hi Physics forums,

I have been approached by an interesting challenge proposed by my colleagues. The goal is to build a structure completely out of newspaper with the longest span to support a 1500.0g weight at its centre point, duct tape allowed to connect ends. The point scheme is as follows (in order of priority):

1. Ability to support the 1500.0g weight at its centre point
2. Amount of material used (mass)
3. Span

I am having a dilemma on the design of the structure. I was thinking of having a cylindrical bridge with triangular trusses at the bottom, but I am confused how to have the optimal span and mass. Any suggestions?

Physics news on Phys.org
Humblepeasant said:
Hi Physics forums,

I have been approached by an interesting challenge proposed by my colleagues. The goal is to build a structure completely out of newspaper with the longest span to support a 1500.0g weight at its centre point, duct tape allowed to connect ends. The point scheme is as follows (in order of priority):

1. Ability to support the 1500.0g weight at its centre point
2. Amount of material used (mass)
3. Span

I am having a dilemma on the design of the structure. I was thinking of having a cylindrical bridge with triangular trusses at the bottom, but I am confused how to have the optimal span and mass. Any suggestions?

Since the mass and span are related, you would need to specify the function that will be used to calculate the total points. Then you should be able to use some standard structures and some calculus to get an idea what the optimization would look like for max points.

FAQ: Physics Challenge: Building a Newspaper Structure

1. What is the purpose of the "Physics Challenge: Building a Newspaper Structure" activity?

The purpose of this activity is to apply principles of physics, such as stability, balance, and weight distribution, to construct a structure using only newspaper and tape.

2. What materials are needed for the "Physics Challenge: Building a Newspaper Structure" activity?

The materials needed for this activity include newspaper, tape, scissors, and a flat surface to work on.

3. How does physics play a role in building a newspaper structure?

Physics plays a role in building a newspaper structure by providing the principles and concepts necessary for creating a stable and balanced structure. These include understanding the center of mass, weight distribution, and forces such as tension and compression.

4. Can different types of newspaper affect the outcome of the structure?

Yes, different types of newspaper can affect the outcome of the structure. Different newspapers have varying thicknesses, weights, and levels of stiffness, which can impact the stability and strength of the structure.

5. How can the "Physics Challenge: Building a Newspaper Structure" activity be modified for different age groups?

The activity can be modified for different age groups by adjusting the complexity of the structure, the materials used, and the level of guidance provided. For younger children, simpler structures and step-by-step instructions may be necessary, while older children can be challenged with more complex designs and encouraged to problem-solve on their own.

Back