Physics Definition: Matter, Energy, & Relativity

In summary, the conversation discusses the definition of physics and whether it is redundant in special relativity. One person defines physics as the interaction between the mind and formulated ideas to explain natural phenomena, while another argues that it is more about creating a universal language for terminology. The definition is also compared to the concept of mass and energy in special relativity. Ultimately, the conversation highlights the complexities of defining and understanding physics in relation to relativity and other scientific concepts.
bernhard.rothenstein
I find the following definition of physics
The science of matter and energy and of interactions between the two
Is the definition redundant in special relativity?
sine ira ey studio

Physics news on Phys.org
I would define physics more as, human fabricated concepts used to explain our sense perception with experiment. So i would say its the interaction between the functioning of the mind and ideas formulated to explain the phenomena we perceive as being real.

QuantumKing said:
I would define physics more as, human fabricated concepts used to explain our sense perception with experiment. So i would say its the interaction between the functioning of the mind and ideas formulated to explain the phenomena we perceive as being real.
Seems like a dreary definition to me. These so-called "human fabricated concpets" are mere descriptions to real phenomena which is observed in nature. As with all things in nature we give them names so as to create a universal language of terminology so that we're all on the same page.

Pete

pmb_phy said:
Seems like a dreary definition to me. These so-called "human fabricated concpets" are mere descriptions to real phenomena which is observed in nature. As with all things in nature we give them names so as to create a universal language of terminology so that we're all on the same page.

Pete
but what about the redundance in the wikipedia definition of physics?

bernhard.rothenstein said:
I find the following definition of physics
The science of matter and energy and of interactions between the two
Is the definition redundant in special relativity?
sine ira ey studio
I would say no, because light has no rest mass, for example, so there is an effective difference between mass and energy.

lightarrow said:
I would say no, because light has no rest mass, for example, so there is an effective difference between mass and energy.
It depends :smile:
See for instance http://math.ucr.edu/home/baez/physics/Relativity/SR/light_mass.html"

Last edited by a moderator:
MeJennifer said:
It depends :
See for instance http://math.ucr.edu/home/baez/physics/Relativity/SR/light_mass.html"
Yes, I know, but, there, it also say:
However, modern usage defines mass as the invariant mass of an object mainly because the invariant mass is more useful when doing any kind of calculation... In the modern view mass is not equivalent to energy. It is just that part of the energy of a body which is not kinetic energy. Mass is independent of velocity whereas energy is not.

Last edited by a moderator:

FAQ: Physics Definition: Matter, Energy, & Relativity

1. What is the definition of Physics?

Physics is the branch of science that deals with matter, energy, and their interactions. It is concerned with understanding the fundamental laws and principles that govern the behavior of the physical world.

2. What is matter in physics?

In physics, matter is anything that has mass and takes up space. It can exist in various states, such as solid, liquid, gas, or plasma, and is composed of atoms and molecules.

3. What is energy in physics?

Energy is the ability to do work or cause change. In physics, it is classified into different forms, such as kinetic, potential, thermal, and electromagnetic energy.

4. What is relativity in physics?

Relativity is a theory developed by Albert Einstein that explains how objects behave in the presence of gravity and at high speeds. It is based on the concept that the laws of physics are the same for all observers, regardless of their relative motion.

5. How are matter, energy, and relativity related in physics?

In physics, matter and energy are considered to be two sides of the same coin, as they can be converted into each other. Relativity, on the other hand, provides a framework for understanding the behavior of matter and energy in the presence of gravitational and high-speed effects.