Physics & Geometry: Solving Quaternary Star System Homework

In summary, the period of each of the stars is given by 360/3=120, so if everything is equal, wherever each point is has to equal said number. The Attempt at a Solution provides an answer key with a diagram that shows how the three planets form a equilateral triangle. According to the answer key, the force of one planet on another produces some tangential acceleration.
Bashyboy

Homework Statement

A certain quaternary star system consists of three stars, each of mass m, moving in the same circular orbit of radius r about a central star of mass M. The stars orbit in the same sense and are positioned one-third of a revolution apart from one another. Show that the period of each of the three stars is given by

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

What I am having difficulty is with the geometry of this problem. I attached a diagram that the answer key provides. How am I to know that the three planets form a equilateral triangle, what betokens this. Likewise, why is the angle between two sides of the triangle 60 degrees?

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    4.2 KB · Views: 642
Physics news on Phys.org
Bashyboy said:
positioned one-third of a revolution apart from one another

is that not clear?

think about it.
360/3=120
so if everything is equal. wherever each point is has to equal said number
and a triangle =180 and divided by 3 equals...

Hi Bashyboy! :smile:
Bashyboy said:
How am I to know that the three planets form a equilateral triangle, what betokens this. Likewise, why is the angle between two sides of the triangle 60 degrees?

If they move uniformly in a circle, the total force on one of of the outer planets from the other two must point towards the centre …

isn't it obvious then that the position must be symmetic? :wink:

(and the angles of an equilateral triangle must be 60° because the angles of any triangle must add to 180°)

Well, I had already determined that a 120 degree angle was was maintained between adjacent planets. However, I was not sure if that related to anything.

Why must the angles of any triangle sum to 180 degrees, does this follow from some definition?

Bashyboy said:
Why must the angles of any triangle sum to 180 degrees, does this follow from some definition?

erm :redface: … you should be able to prove this in about 17 different ways!

(eg divide the triangle into two right-angled triangles)

you need to study an elementary geometry book!

I have another question, would the force of one planet on another produce some tangential acceleration?

Bashyboy said:
I have another question, would the force of one planet on another produce some tangential acceleration?
Yes, but by symmetry the tangential affects of each pair on the third cancel.

Oh, I see. There are two tangential forces acting on each planet, each of which is equal and opposite to each other, is this correct?

Bashyboy said:
Oh, I see. There are two tangential forces acting on each planet, each of which is equal and opposite to each other, is this correct?

yes, but you're analysing this too much …

isn't it obvious that, if you have two planets of the same mass at the same distance, then the total force will be toward their midpoint? :smile:

No, it is not immediately evident; however, after having analyzed the problem, I can see that. I don't think I am analyzing the problem too much, I want to understand every detail of every problem I solve.

Tiny Tim, is what you say always true?

tiny-tim said:
isn't it obvious that, if you have two planets of the same mass at the same distance, then the total force will be toward their midpoint? :smile:
Bashyboy said:
Tiny Tim, is what you say always true?

yes, because of symmetry

if you reflect it in a mirror (through the midpoint), you'll have exactly the same …

so the force in the reflected situation must be same as the original force, in other words it must be its own reflection, in other words it must be in the mirror itself, ie towards (or away from) the midpoint

it's this concept of symmetry that you're missing …

many physics exam problems are deliberately constructed with a symmetry in, to help you and to save you time

it is perfectly acceptable in an exam to say "from symmetry, it is obvious that …"​

you need to think about symmetry a lot (sorry, but it isn't really a subject you can look up in books), until you're used to spotting it, and using it! :smile:

Related to Physics & Geometry: Solving Quaternary Star System Homework

What is a quaternary star system?

A quaternary star system is a system that consists of four stars orbiting around a common center of mass. These systems are relatively rare and complex, with the stars interacting with each other in unique ways.

How do you determine the properties of a quaternary star system?

In order to determine the properties of a quaternary star system, scientists use a combination of observational data, mathematical calculations, and computer simulations. This includes measuring the masses, distances, and orbital periods of the stars, as well as studying their interactions and any potential impacts on other objects in the system.

What is the role of physics in understanding quaternary star systems?

Physics plays a crucial role in understanding quaternary star systems, as it provides the fundamental laws and principles that govern the behavior and interactions of the stars in these systems. This includes concepts such as gravity, electromagnetism, and thermodynamics, which are essential for explaining the formation, evolution, and dynamics of quaternary star systems.

How does geometry play a role in solving homework related to quaternary star systems?

Geometry is important in solving homework related to quaternary star systems because it helps us visualize and understand the complex geometries and relationships between the stars in these systems. This includes concepts such as orbital mechanics, Kepler's laws, and celestial coordinates, which are essential for accurately describing and analyzing the behavior of quaternary star systems.

What are some real-world applications of studying quaternary star systems?

Studying quaternary star systems has several real-world applications, including providing insights into the formation and evolution of our own solar system, helping us understand the behavior of other multi-star systems in the universe, and potentially discovering new planets or other celestial objects in these systems. This research also has implications for fields such as astrophysics, astronomy, and space exploration.