Physics highest point reached by skateboarder

In summary, the conversation involved a skateboarder shooting off a ramp at a velocity of 6.5 m/s and an angle of 55° above the horizontal. The height of the ramp was 1.5 m and the origin was taken as the point directly below the top of the ramp. The two parts of the homework question involved finding the highest point the skateboarder reaches and the horizontal distance from the end of the ramp to this point. The kinematics equations for two-dimensional projectile motion were discussed and the equations used to solve the problem were y-y_0=V_0y/V_0x * (X-X_0) - g(x-X_0)^2/ 2*V^2_0 and
triplel777

Homework Statement

A skateboarder shoots off a ramp with a velocity of 6.5 m/s, directed at an angle of 55° above the horizontal. The end of the ramp is 1.5 m above the ground. Let the x-axis be parallel to the ground, the +y direction be vertically upward, and take as the origin the point on the ground directly below the top of the ramp.

(a) How high above the ground is the highest point that the skateboarder reaches?

(b) When the skateboarder reaches the highest point, how far is this point horizontally from the end of the ramp?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

(a) i figured i need y+1.5 for my answer so i need to find y.
so sin55= y/6.5
y= 5.32
y+1.5 = 6.82 but its wrong

(b) i thought it was as easy as using the phythagoram therom and said a^2 + 5.32^2 = 6.5^2
a= 3.73 but that's wrong

i inserted the pictures i drew for each part.

Attachments

• physics help.JPG
    physics help.JPG
    4.9 KB · Views: 545
Physics news on Phys.org
First write down the kinematics equations for two-dimensional projectile motion. If you are not sure what to do with them, we will help along, but we need something to point to.

ok y=y_0 + v_0*t-g/2*t^2

now what do i do?

triplel777 said:
ok y=y_0 + v_0*t-g/2*t^2

now what do i do?
That's not the kinematics equation that we want/require, since it involves time, which does not feature in part(a) of the question.
For part (a), what is the final velocity (y-component) of the skateboarder at the highest point?
For part (b), what is the time taken for the skateboarder to reach this highest point? What is his velocity in the x-direction throughout the trajectory?

ok the only one that doesn't involve time is y-y_0=V_0y/V_0x * (X-X_0) - g(x-X_0)^2/ 2*V^2_0

There is another one that does not involve time and has no "x" subscripts.

kuruman said:
There is another one that does not involve time and has no "x" subscripts.

ok well I am looking at my formula sheet given to me by the instructor and the only other formula on there that does not have t or an x subscript is V^2- V_0^2 = 2a *(x-x_0)
and that formula is not even on the chapter we are in.

Use this for the motion in the y-direction, but first you need to figure out what to put in for these quantities - which ones you know and which one you are looking for. Any ideas?

ok well the initial velocity would be 0. v= 6.5, X=1.5 so we don't know a or X_0

You know a - don't forget that once he gets airborne he is in free fall. You may not know x_0, but you don't care what it is. You are looking for his vertical displacement which is x - x_0. So ...

FAQ: Physics highest point reached by skateboarder

1. What is the highest point reached by a skateboarder?

The highest point reached by a skateboarder varies depending on the individual's skill and the specific trick or maneuver being performed. However, according to Guinness World Records, the highest ramp jump on a skateboard was achieved by Danny Way at a height of 79 feet and 1 inch in 2006.

2. How do skateboarders reach such high heights?

Skateboarders are able to reach high heights due to the principles of physics, specifically the conservation of energy. By using their body's potential energy and converting it into kinetic energy with the help of the skateboard, they are able to gain speed and momentum to launch themselves off ramps or perform other tricks at high heights.

3. What role does gravity play in a skateboarder's jump?

Gravity plays a crucial role in a skateboarder's jump, as it is the force that pulls the skateboarder back towards the ground. However, by gaining enough speed and momentum, the skateboarder is able to overcome the force of gravity and reach high heights. Once the skateboarder reaches the highest point, gravity then pulls them back down towards the ground.

4. How do skateboarders maintain balance at high heights?

Maintaining balance at high heights requires a combination of skill, practice, and understanding of physics. Skateboarders use their center of mass and the laws of motion to maintain balance as they perform tricks and maneuvers at high heights. They also rely on muscle memory and proprioception to make quick adjustments and corrections to their body and the skateboard.

5. Are there any risks involved in reaching high heights on a skateboard?

Yes, there are risks involved in reaching high heights on a skateboard. Skateboarding at any height can result in injuries due to falls, collisions, or other accidents. It is important for skateboarders to wear proper protective gear and to have proper training and supervision when attempting high jumps and tricks. Additionally, factors such as weather conditions, equipment malfunctions, and fatigue can also increase the risk of injury at high heights.