Physics homework vectors, magnitude and direction

In summary, The problem is asking for the magnitude and direction of a third force, F3, that would result in the vector sum of three forces being 0 N. The first two forces, F1 and F2, have magnitudes and directions specified. To solve this problem, you would need to resolve the forces into x and y components and set up equations to ensure that the sum of all the x-components is zero and the sum of all the y-components is zero. Once you have these equations, you can solve for the unknown magnitude and direction of the third force, F3.
triplel777

Homework Statement

Three forces are applied to an object. Force F1 has a magnitude of 23.0 Newtons (23.0 N) and is directed 30.0° to the left of the +y axis. Force F2 has a magnitude of 14.0 N and points along the +x axis. What must be the magnitude and direction (specified by the angle θ in the drawing) of the third force F3 such that the vector sum of the three forces is 0 N?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

i have no idea where to even start..please help me!

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you know how to resolve vectors into components? If, "yes", do it and make sure that all x-components together add to zero and all the y-components together add to zero. If "no", you should learn that first before attempting this problem.

ok so for x it was +14 and for y it was -23-x.so i did the square root of (-23-x)^2 +14^2
resulting in -27 N. but that is the wrong answer

triplel777 said:
ok so for x it was +14 and for y it was -23-x.so i did the square root of (-23-x)^2 +14^2
resulting in -27 N. but that is the wrong answer

I cannot understand what "it" is that was +14 for x or -23-x for y. Let me see two separate equations, one below the other. Equation 1 should say that the sum of all the x-components is zero and Equation 2 should say that the sum of all the y-components is zero.

Related to Physics homework vectors, magnitude and direction

1. What are vectors in physics?

Vectors are mathematical quantities that have both magnitude and direction. In physics, they are used to represent physical quantities such as displacement, velocity, and force.

2. How do you calculate the magnitude of a vector?

The magnitude of a vector is the length of the vector. To calculate it, you can use the Pythagorean theorem, which states that the magnitude (or length) of a vector is equal to the square root of the sum of the squares of its components.

3. What is the difference between a scalar and a vector quantity?

A scalar quantity has only magnitude, while a vector quantity has both magnitude and direction. Examples of scalar quantities include mass and temperature, while examples of vector quantities include displacement and velocity.

4. How do you represent the direction of a vector?

The direction of a vector is typically represented using an arrow pointing in the direction of the vector. The length of the arrow is proportional to the magnitude of the vector. Another way to represent direction is by using angles, such as in polar coordinates.

5. Can vectors be added or subtracted?

Yes, vectors can be added or subtracted using vector addition and subtraction rules. When adding or subtracting vectors, it is important to take into account both the magnitude and direction of the vectors. This operation is commonly used in solving physics problems involving multiple vectors.