Physics HWK: Avoid Injury w/Stiff-Legged vs. Bent-Legged Landings

• Thread starter shawonna23
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, landing with stiff legs can lead to serious injuries, so it is important to bend your knees to reduce the force of the impact. When a 75 kg man lands with stiff legs and comes to a halt in 2.3 ms, the average net force acting on him is 1.8E5 N. However, when he bends his knees and comes to a halt in 0.14 s, the average force is 3000 N. In the last question of part (c), we need to take into account the direction of the forces. Drawing a free body diagram and using the equation W=ma, we can find that the force of the ground on the man is actually 3000 N when
shawonna23
When jumping straight down, you can be seriously injured if you land stiff-legged. One way to avoid injury is to bend your knees upon landing to reduce the force of the impact. A 75 kg man just before contact with the ground has a speed of 5.6 m/s.

(a) In a stiff-legged landing he comes to a halt in 2.3 ms. Find the average net force that acts on him during this time.
1.8E5 N
(b) When he bends his knees, he comes to a halt in 0.14 s. Find the average force now.
3000 N
(c) During the landing, the force of the ground on the man points upward, while the force due to gravity points downward. The average net force acting on the man includes both of these forces. Taking into account the directions of these forces, find the force of the ground on the man in parts (a) and (b).

stiff legged landing
1.8E5N
bent legged landing
? N

I got the right answer for part a and b, but I can't seem to get the answer to the last question of part c. The answer I got was -3000, but it was wrong. what am I doing wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
Again, I had this same exact problem for homework some time ago. The last part of (c) was tricky for me as well.

If you draw a free body diagram of the forces acting on the man when he lands bended knee. It will help.

This equation will come in handy: W = ma

It seems like you may have forgotten to take into account the direction of the force of gravity in your calculation for part c. Remember, in a stiff-legged landing, the net force is equal to the average force acting on the man, which is in the opposite direction of the force of gravity. So the force of the ground on the man would be equal to the average force (1.8E5 N) plus the force of gravity (-735 N, calculated using F=mg where m=75 kg and g=9.8 m/s^2). This would give you a final answer of 1.8E5-735=1.8E5 N for the force of the ground on the man in a stiff-legged landing. Similarly, for a bent-legged landing, the force of the ground on the man would be equal to the average force (3000 N) plus the force of gravity (-735 N), giving a final answer of 3000-735=2265 N for the force of the ground on the man. Remember to always consider the direction of the forces when calculating net force.

FAQ: Physics HWK: Avoid Injury w/Stiff-Legged vs. Bent-Legged Landings

1. What is the difference between stiff-legged and bent-legged landings in physics?

In physics, stiff-legged landings refer to landings where the legs are kept straight and locked upon impact, while bent-legged landings involve bending the knees upon impact.

2. Which type of landing is safer for avoiding injury?

It is generally believed that bent-legged landings are safer for avoiding injury compared to stiff-legged landings. This is because bending the knees allows for the absorption of impact forces, reducing the strain on the joints and muscles.

3. Why is it important to avoid injury during landings?

Injuries during landings can range from minor muscle strains to more serious joint injuries. These injuries can hinder an individual's physical abilities and may require a long recovery time. Additionally, repeated injuries can have a negative impact on an individual's overall health and well-being.

4. Are there any factors that affect the impact force during landings?

Yes, there are several factors that can affect the impact force during landings, including the height and speed of the jump, the surface being landed on, and the body's positioning and technique during the landing.

5. Can the type of landing technique be modified to reduce the risk of injury?

Yes, the type of landing technique can be modified to reduce the risk of injury. For example, individuals can practice proper jumping and landing techniques, including bending the knees and using their arms to absorb impact. Additionally, strengthening and conditioning exercises can also help reduce the risk of injury during landings.

Back