Physics I and Calculus I Together

In summary, it may be a risk to take Physics I and Calculus I concurrently, especially if you are not confident in your calculus skills. It may be better to take Calculus I first in order to have a stronger foundation for success in Physics I.
btalbot
I'll be taking these two classes together this fall (along with an intermediate college writing class and a one-hour-per-week mathematics computing lab).

Am I biting off more than I can chew? I am getting an A- in precalculus, which I admit I only study the bare minimum and am about one or two correct answers from an A.

Here are the descriptions of the two classes:

Physics for Scientists and Engineers I: First semester of a two-semester sequence in calculus-based physics, primarily for students in science, math, computer science, and pre engineering. This semester covers topics in mechanics, including kinematics, Newton’s laws, and the conservation laws of energy, linear momentum, and angular momentum. Also covered are topics in gravity, fluid mechanics, waves, and thermodynamics. Class meets five hours per week in lecture/discussion format. One 3-hour lab per week.

Calculus I: Limits, continuity, differentiation, integration.

P.S. I am a 30 year-old freshman trying to find time to start a business or get a job at the same time. Maybe that's more than I can chew. Thanks for your input.

Physics news on Phys.org
You need some basic Calculus skills, although not too many, for Physics 1. What you plan is a risk, but you may do just fine. You need some skills in Calculus, but you need MORE skill with intermediate level Algebra and basic Trigonometry. You MUST know how to differentiate and to integrate simple functions.

Better would be study Calculus 1 BEFORE starting Physics 1.

btalbot said:
I'll be taking these two classes together this fall (along with an intermediate college writing class and a one-hour-per-week mathematics computing lab).

Am I biting off more than I can chew? I am getting an A- in precalculus, which I admit I only study the bare minimum and am about one or two correct answers from an A.

Here are the descriptions of the two classes:

Physics for Scientists and Engineers I: First semester of a two-semester sequence in calculus-based physics, primarily for students in science, math, computer science, and pre engineering. This semester covers topics in mechanics, including kinematics, Newton’s laws, and the conservation laws of energy, linear momentum, and angular momentum. Also covered are topics in gravity, fluid mechanics, waves, and thermodynamics. Class meets five hours per week in lecture/discussion format. One 3-hour lab per week.

Calculus I: Limits, continuity, differentiation, integration.

P.S. I am a 30 year-old freshman trying to find time to start a business or get a job at the same time. Maybe that's more than I can chew. Thanks for your input.

Don't you have an academic advisor that can advice you on this? He or she would know more about the requirements and coverage of each course, AND if any other students have done what you are attempting to do, and the outcome.

Zz.

Just from my own personal experience...

I took Calculus I my first semester of college after having zero exposure to calculus during high school. It was a challenge for me and required quite a lot of self-study and effort in order to become comfortable with the material.

I did not take Physics I until my second semester. At that point I was comfortable with the fundamentals of calculus and the mathematical aspects of the physics course were not an issue. Had I taken them concurrently I likely would not have been successful in completing the Physics I course because of my limited calculus abilities.

So I would say this depends on:

(1) How comfortable you are with basic calculus now.
(2) How soon in the Physics I course you are expected to make use of calculus concepts versus when those concepts are introduced in the Calculus I course.
(3) How confident you are in your ability to self-teach the needed calculus for your Physics I course when required

I understand the importance of challenging ourselves and pushing our limits in order to grow and learn. However, it is also important to recognize our own limitations and make sure we are not taking on more than we can handle. In this case, taking Physics and Calculus together may be a lot to manage, especially with other classes and commitments.

It is great that you are already excelling in precalculus and have a strong foundation in math. This will definitely help you in both Physics and Calculus, as they both heavily rely on mathematical concepts. However, it is important to keep in mind that these are both rigorous courses and will require a significant amount of time and effort outside of class.

My advice would be to carefully assess your schedule and commitments before making a decision. It may be worth considering taking one of the classes in a different semester or finding ways to manage your time effectively. It is also important to prioritize your mental and physical well-being, as overloading yourself can lead to burnout.

Ultimately, it is up to you to decide if you are ready for the challenge of taking both classes at once. Just make sure to carefully consider all factors before making a decision. Good luck in your studies and future endeavors.

Related to Physics I and Calculus I Together

1. What is the difference between Physics I and Calculus I?

Physics I is a science course that focuses on the fundamental concepts of motion, forces, energy, and other related topics. Calculus I, on the other hand, is a math course that deals with the study of change and the use of mathematical tools to solve problems. While Physics I uses calculus as a tool to solve problems, Calculus I is a prerequisite for Physics I as it provides the necessary mathematical foundation.

2. How do Physics I and Calculus I complement each other?

Physics I and Calculus I are closely related as they both involve the study of physical phenomena. Calculus provides the mathematical tools needed to solve problems in Physics, while Physics helps to give real-world applications and context to the concepts learned in Calculus. Together, they provide a more complete understanding of the physical world.

3. Is it necessary to take Physics I and Calculus I together?

While it is not necessary to take both courses simultaneously, it is highly recommended. As mentioned before, Calculus I is a prerequisite for Physics I and provides the necessary mathematical foundation for the course. Taking both courses together can also help students see the practical applications of the mathematical concepts learned in Calculus.

4. How can understanding Calculus help in understanding Physics?

Calculus is a powerful tool for solving problems in Physics. It allows us to analyze and understand the behavior of objects and systems in motion, the relationship between forces and motion, and the concept of energy. Additionally, many physical laws and equations are derived using calculus, so having a strong understanding of it can greatly aid in understanding and solving Physics problems.

5. What are some common topics covered in both Physics I and Calculus I?

Some common topics covered in both courses include motion, forces, energy, derivatives, integrals, and applications of calculus in physics. In Physics I, students will learn about kinematics, Newton's laws of motion, work and energy, and rotational motion, while in Calculus I, they will learn about limits, derivatives, and integrals and their applications in areas such as optimization and related rates.