Physics: Images through Thin Lenses

In summary, using the given values of p, n, r1, and r2, we can solve for i, m, the reality of the image, and whether it is inverted or non-inverted. Based on the math, the image is real, inverted, and on the opposite side of the object. However, the drawing shows a non-inverted image, so more information is needed to determine which one is correct.
JCUghetta
A thin lenses with given p = 75cm, n = 1.55, r1 = 30cm, and r2 = -42cm.
Find the a.) i b.) m c.) Is the image real or virtual d.) Is the image inverted or noninverted e.) Is the image on the same or opposite side as the object

Using 1/p + 1/i = 1/f and also 1/f = (n-1)*(1/r1 - 1/r2) I solved for a.) i = 55.26 cm
For b.) m = -i/p; so m = -0.74

From drawing out this picture of the thin lenses and drawing the inward and outward light rays, I got a c.) that the image is virtual, and d.) that the image is non-inverted. But based on the math, because m is equal to a negative value, it should be an inverted image.

Why does my drawing show a non-inverted image but using the math I solved to get m show an inverted image? Which one of these is right? Thanks in advance.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
JCUghetta said:
A thin lenses with given p = 75cm, n = 1.55, r1 = 30cm, and r2 = -42cm.
Find the a.) i b.) m c.) Is the image real or virtual d.) Is the image inverted or noninverted e.) Is the image on the same or opposite side as the object

Using 1/p + 1/i = 1/f and also 1/f = (n-1)*(1/r1 - 1/r2) I solved for a.) i = 55.26 cm
For b.) m = -i/p; so m = -0.74

From drawing out this picture of the thin lenses and drawing the inward and outward light rays, I got a c.) that the image is virtual, and d.) that the image is non-inverted. But based on the math, because m is equal to a negative value, it should be an inverted image.

Why does my drawing show a non-inverted image (without knowing your drawing this question is really hard to answer) but using the math I solved to get m show an inverted image? Which one of these is right? Thanks in advance.

Good evening,

with p = 75 cm (I assume that this is the distance of the object from the lens?) and
i = 55,26 cm (I assume that this is the distance of the image from the lens?)
and \(\displaystyle f = \tfrac{350}{11} \ cm\)

you should get a real image which is inverted (if you mean by inverted that the image is upside down in comparison to the object).

If it is possible for you please post your drawing including some additional remarks of how you have made this drawing.

FAQ: Physics: Images through Thin Lenses

What is a thin lens?

A thin lens is an optical device that is made of a transparent material and has two curved surfaces. It is used to refract or bend light in order to form an image.

What is the difference between a convex and a concave lens?

A convex lens is thicker in the middle and thinner at the edges, while a concave lens is thinner in the middle and thicker at the edges. A convex lens converges light rays to a focal point, while a concave lens diverges light rays.

How does a thin lens form an image?

A thin lens forms an image by refracting light rays that pass through it. The light rays bend as they pass through the lens and converge or diverge to create an image on the other side of the lens. The type of image formed depends on the type of lens and the distance of the object from the lens.

What is the difference between a real and a virtual image?

A real image is formed when light rays actually converge at a point and can be projected onto a screen. A virtual image is formed when light rays appear to be coming from a certain point, but do not actually converge and cannot be projected.

How do you calculate the magnification of an image formed by a thin lens?

The magnification of an image formed by a thin lens is calculated by dividing the height of the image by the height of the object. This can also be expressed as the ratio of the image distance to the object distance.

Back