Physics into Comp Eng after BSc.

In summary: Bottom line: I want my BSc. in physics! I love to study it and don't think I'd feel comfortable majoring in something else. Call me crazy if you like :)
cscott
Bottom line: I want my BSc. in physics! I love to study it and don't think I'd feel comfortable majoring in something else. Call me crazy if you like :)

My question: How hard would it be to get into computer engineering at a master's level after I get my BSc.? Can I ever get my professional degree without doing an undergrad degree in engineering? How would I compare to other engineers if I got a master's degree in some area of CE?

Physics news on Phys.org
Seems like it would depend on the school. Have you talked with your advisor about this? What schools are you considering for the graduate engineering degree? What are their published entrance requirements?

berkeman said:
Seems like it would depend on the school. Have you talked with your advisor about this? What schools are you considering for the graduate engineering degree? What are their published entrance requirements?

Hehe. Ok, maybe I should have said a bit more. I'm only going into my second year this fall so I haven't really been talking to my advisors or looking at schools (which maybe I should do?).

My main worry is that I won't be able to get my "professional status" or whatever you want to call it for med and engi students. Are you saying it really depends on the schools I'm considering?

I've just always been "into" the digital electronics "scene" from both the CS and CE perspectives, but I love to study the fundamentals offered in physics.

(for instance I really enjoy the scientific computation and digital electronics courses offered by my physics department.)

I suppose I just want to know if what I'm considering is completely unheard of? I would have thought no.

Last edited:
cscott said:
Bottom line: I want my BSc. in physics! I love to study it and don't think I'd feel comfortable majoring in something else. Call me crazy if you like :)

I can't really offer any advice, but you might want to be careful, because physics can be addictive for some people. I came into college thinking I'd get my BS in physics just to satisfy my interest in the subject, and then go to medical school. The problem is that I realized what I'd learned in undergrad barely scratched the surface. Alas, now here I am in graduate school (in physics, of course).

what do u want to do with a CE? Try to go find a program in high performacne c omputing for physics or math or chem.

cscott said:

My question: How hard would it be to get into computer engineering at a master's level after I get my BSc.? Can I ever get my professional degree without doing an undergrad degree in engineering? How would I compare to other engineers if I got a master's degree in some area of CE?

cscott, I'm in the same boat that you are. I'm in my last undergrad year pursuing a BS in physics, and I'd really like to get into either Computer engineering or computer science when I graduate. From what I hear, you'll be fine with a background in physics as long as you take a few undergrad engineering courses CE grad school. Don't take this as fact though, this is only hearsay. Could someone confirm this for me?

I personally am going to try to code for some company when I get out of school, and if it doesn't suit me i'll go for the engineering degree.

Related to Physics into Comp Eng after BSc.

1. What is the difference between physics and computer engineering?

Physics is a natural science that focuses on understanding the fundamental principles of matter and energy, while computer engineering is a branch of engineering that deals with the design, development, and use of computer systems. While physics focuses on understanding the natural world, computer engineering focuses on applying that knowledge to create practical solutions for various problems.

2. Can I pursue a career in computer engineering with a degree in physics?

Yes, it is possible to pursue a career in computer engineering with a degree in physics. While a background in computer engineering may be beneficial, many skills and concepts learned in physics, such as problem-solving, critical thinking, and mathematical modeling, are highly applicable to computer engineering. With some additional coursework and hands-on experience, a physics graduate can transition into a career in computer engineering.

3. What skills from physics are transferable to computer engineering?

Some of the skills that are transferable from physics to computer engineering include problem-solving, critical thinking, data analysis, and mathematical modeling. These skills are essential in both fields and can be applied to various areas of computer engineering, such as programming, software development, and system design.

4. Are there any specific courses or certifications I should take to prepare for a career in computer engineering?

While there are no specific courses or certifications required to pursue a career in computer engineering after a degree in physics, it may be beneficial to take some additional coursework in programming, computer science, and engineering. Additionally, gaining hands-on experience through internships or projects can also help prepare for a career in computer engineering.

5. What job opportunities are available for someone with a background in both physics and computer engineering?

With a background in both physics and computer engineering, there are various job opportunities available, such as software engineer, data scientist, research scientist, and systems analyst. Additionally, there may be opportunities to work in industries that require both physics and computer engineering skills, such as aerospace, defense, and renewable energy.