Physics Lab Question - Where To Begin

In summary, during a lab experiment, objects were placed on the end of a piece of wood and lifted until they slid down to the bottom. The height the wood was lifted to was measured to assist in calculating the Coefficient of Friction for kinetic force. The same process was repeated, but quickly bringing the wood down to stop the object from moving and measure this height for calculating the Coefficient of Friction for static force. The length of the wood was also measured. This whole routine was repeated for four additional objects. The question asked in the lab was to determine the coefficients of friction using the calculated value of theta. This can be done by drawing a force diagram of a weight in equilibrium on an inclined plane and setting up equations from the
Danneskjöld

Homework Statement

In class, we conducted a lab experiment in which we placed an object on the end of a piece of wood and lifted the same end of the wood until the object slid down to the bottom. We measured the height the wood was lifted to. (to assist in calculating Coefficient of Friction for kinetic force) We then repeated this step, and quickly brought the piece of wood down so as to stop the object from moving, and measured this height. (to assist in calculating Coefficient of Friction for static force) The length of the wood was measured (which would act as "r" or "radius" or "hypotenuse" in this case).

We repeated the whole routine above for four additional different objects, for a total of five objects' values.

The trouble I am having is a question asked of us as part of the lab questions, based on this experiment and the collected data.

Q1: From the value of [tex]\theta[/tex] (which I calculated already), determine the coefficient of friction [tex]\mu[/tex] (static) and [tex]\mu[/tex] (dynamic), as indicated below:

a) Draw the force diagram of a weight in equilibrium that is on the inclined plane. Set up the x and y-axis parallel to the surface respect to the inclined plane. Then set up two equations from these forces from the equilibrium equations

[tex]\Sigma[/tex]Fx = 0
[tex]\Sigma[/tex]Fy = 0

then solve for [tex]\mu[/tex] (coefficient of friction)

b) Using the formulae derived in (a) above, solve for [tex]\mu[/tex].

Homework Equations

F = [tex]\mu[/tex]*N
[tex]\mu[/tex] = F/N = m*g*sin[tex]\theta[/tex] / m*g*cos[tex]\theta[/tex]
[tex]\mu[/tex] = sin[tex]\theta[/tex] / cos[tex]\theta[/tex]
[tex]\mu[/tex] = tan [tex]\theta[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

No attempt has yet been made, as I do not know where to begin, nor understand what I am being asked to do. I've read the textbook, which does not help me determine what to do...

Do I take the sum of all 5 values for static and dynamic friction coefficients and determine an average [tex]\mu[/tex] ?
Do I draw 5 force diagrams of a weight in equilibrium for each object, and then solve for [tex]\mu[/tex] by using specifically only the values pertaining to that one object?
Am I going to subtract static friction force from dynamic friction force? Average them?
And by "formulae derived" are they referring to something I have to derive myself from the given formulae, or the very same formulae they gave me (i.e.: did they derive the formulae for me already)?

Physics news on Phys.org
The tan formula you have will do the whole job. Just use it twice for each object.

Looks like you are asked to show in detail how you got that formula, which will include the force diagram.

It seems to me that the first run (lift until it goes) is a measure of the static friction rather than the kinetic.

Delphi51 said:
The tan formula you have will do the whole job. Just use it twice for each object.

Looks like you are asked to show in detail how you got that formula, which will include the force diagram.

It seems to me that the first run (lift until it goes) is a measure of the static friction rather than the kinetic.

Thank you for the clarification.

If the first run is a measure of static friction, how is the second run (lift up til it goes then lower until it stops) kinetic friction? It seems they would be the opposite, but it's possible I have opposing ideas compared to reality. (confusing/mixing up each concept)

When the thing is moving, and you lower the board, you're dealing with kinetic friction because it's sliding. The angle will be less than it was before, because the kinetic frictional force is weaker and can't balance as big a gravity component as the static could.

What merryjman said - for the second part you use the angle that just stops it. Kinetic.

Related to Physics Lab Question - Where To Begin

1. What is the purpose of a physics lab?

A physics lab allows scientists to conduct experiments in a controlled environment to test and verify physical laws and theories. It also helps students understand and apply concepts learned in the classroom.

2. How do I select a suitable topic for my physics lab?

When selecting a topic for a physics lab, consider your interests, available resources, and the relevance of the topic to your studies. Consult with your instructor or peers for suggestions and ideas.

3. What materials and equipment do I need for a physics lab?

The materials and equipment needed for a physics lab will vary depending on the experiment. However, common items may include measuring tools, batteries, wires, resistors, and various types of sensors.

4. What safety precautions should I take in a physics lab?

Safety should always be a top priority in a physics lab. Some safety precautions to consider include wearing protective equipment, following proper handling and disposal procedures for chemicals, and ensuring that all equipment is in good working condition.

5. How do I organize and report my findings from a physics lab?

The organization and reporting of findings will depend on the specific requirements of your lab assignment. However, some general guidelines include clearly labeling all data and observations, using appropriate graphs or tables to present data, and providing a thorough analysis of the results.