Physics Lecture for a screenplay

He could possibly be a researcher who is trying to find a way to prove the existence of psychic abilities through scientific means, but this would require a major paradigm shift in the field of physics. The lecture could focus on the concept of energy and how it can be manipulated, possibly leading to a discussion on psychic energy and its potential for bending objects. However, this would require a suspension of disbelief for the audience, as there is currently no scientific evidence to support the existence of psychic abilities. Overall, the lecture should be accessible and easy for the general audience, but it may require some creative liberties to make the link between physics and psychic phenomena believable.
lucifervandro
I am writing a screenplay about a physicist who is researching pyschic phenomena, mainly the bending of spoons and other metal objects. He's a true believer in this and wants to find the scientific explanation for it. My screenplay starts with him lecturing students and I would like it to be a realistic physics based lecture, something that has nothing directly to do with spoon bending but if someone in the lecture were to ask the correct question could end up there (because it obviously will). I don't have a large knowledge of physics and don't know where to begin to make the link between the physics and psychic phenomena or what the professor could be talking about.

Of course the screenplay is for a general audience so what I am looking for is some ideas for a lecture that would be accesible and easy, something the audience catches the tail end of but makes sense.
Could someone help me with this?

This is a very loose fictionalization of a specific famous incident and one of the key players was a physicist. I don't know what his actual motivation is, but I wanted to build my own characters anyway. I would like to note that I am a skeptic and no one in the screenplay possesses any real psychic abilities.

Physics news on Phys.org
lucifervandro said:
I am writing a screenplay about a physicist who is researching pyschic phenomena, mainly the bending of spoons and other metal objects. He's a true believer in this and wants to find the scientific explanation for it. My screenplay starts with him lecturing students and I would like it to be a realistic physics based lecture, something that has nothing directly to do with spoon bending but if someone in the lecture were to ask the correct question could end up there (because it obviously will). I don't have a large knowledge of physics and don't know where to begin to make the link between the physics and psychic phenomena or what the professor could be talking about.

Of course the screenplay is for a general audience so what I am looking for is some ideas for a lecture that would be accesible and easy, something the audience catches the tail end of but makes sense.
Could someone help me with this?

This is a very loose fictionalization of a specific famous incident and one of the key players was a physicist. I don't know what his actual motivation is, but I wanted to build my own characters anyway. I would like to note that I am a skeptic and no one in the screenplay possesses any real psychic abilities.

As far as I know there is no link between physics and psychic spoon bending. So I don't know how to subtly suggest such a thing.

A physicist who believes in such things is probably not going to be taken seriously by fellow scientists to begin with and probably won't have an academic position.

Related to Physics Lecture for a screenplay

1. What is the purpose of a physics lecture in a screenplay?

A physics lecture in a screenplay is used to provide information and context for the story. It can explain scientific concepts, establish the setting, or introduce a character who is a scientist or studying physics.

2. How much scientific accuracy is necessary in a physics lecture for a screenplay?

The level of scientific accuracy in a physics lecture for a screenplay depends on the story and the audience. If the screenplay is meant to be educational or for a more scientifically knowledgeable audience, it should strive for a high level of accuracy. However, if the story is fictional or for entertainment purposes, some creative liberties can be taken.

3. How can a physics lecture be made more engaging for viewers?

One way to make a physics lecture more engaging for viewers is to incorporate visual aids such as diagrams, animations, or demonstrations. Using relatable examples or incorporating humor can also help to keep the audience engaged.

4. Should a physics lecture be used for exposition in a screenplay?

Using a physics lecture for exposition can be effective if done correctly. However, it should not be used as a crutch to convey information that could be shown through action or dialogue. The lecture should also be relevant to the story and not feel forced.

5. How long should a physics lecture be in a screenplay?

The length of a physics lecture in a screenplay should be based on its importance to the story. If it is a crucial part of the plot, it may need to be longer and more detailed. However, if it is used for background information or character development, it should be kept short and concise.