Design Your Own Physics Monopoly Board | Fun Ideas & Suggestions

In summary, designing a physics-themed Monopoly board can be a fun and educational activity for both kids and adults. Some ideas and suggestions for this unique twist on the classic game include using scientific principles and concepts for property names, incorporating real-world physics challenges into the gameplay, and creating custom game pieces that represent different branches of physics. This personalized Monopoly board is a great way to engage in hands-on learning and have fun at the same time.
I think it would be lots of fun to design some physics versions of the Monopoly board.

Feel free to discuss your physics monopoly board ideas and suggestions and even try it yourself by downloading the board image here
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/81oC5pYhh2L._SL1500_.jpg

And then uploading the result.

I think I'll give it a go later this week.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Oh, I have some ideas already!

• CERN is of course Boardwalk and instead of building hotels and houses you build accelerators and particle detectors.
  • The "Go To Jail" is "Funding ran out" and the jail is the "Write grant application".
  • "Income tax" is your postdocs and PhD students wanting money to go to a conference.
  • Free parking is someone giving you an unexpected prize. Railway stations are the meetings of different physical societies (APS, EPS, etc).
  • Chance cards are renamed "Paper submission" and contain referee reports.
  • Community chest is faculty funding.

Likes mfb, davenn and Greg Bernhardt
Great ideas!

Orodruin said:
you build accelerators and particle detectors
Which are hotels and which are houses?

Greg Bernhardt said:
Great ideas!Which are hotels and which are houses?
Well, at LHC there are four main experiments and one accelerator ...

Likes Greg Bernhardt
I am almost done with mine. I need to find some more lab logos (I stopped yesterday when I didnt find one for BEPC II) and deside on the design of the corners.

Once done I will jump onto redesigning the card texts.

Likes Greg Bernhardt
Here is my go. Can anyone name all the properties?

phys-opoly.png

Likes Orodruin
Wouldn't the game be more accurate if, when you landed on the Nobel Prize square, you collected a zillion dollars (or some other sum)? :woot: :wink: :smile:

Likes Greg Bernhardt
SteamKing said:
Wouldn't the game be more accurate if, when you landed on the Nobel Prize square, you collected a zillion dollars (or some other sum)? :woot: :wink: :smile:
Its actually not that much money ...

Well, it's more than $200. I meant I think you should get some kind of windfall for landing on that square. You've got one square where you lose all your money ...

SteamKing said:
Well, it's more than $200. I meant I think you should get some kind of windfall for landing on that square. You've got one square where you lose all your money ...
You just have to pass the square, not land on it :)

Greg Bernhardt said:
You just have to pass the square, not land on it :)
Not every physicist collects a closet-full of Nobel prizes.

Make the windfall kick in only if the player actually lands on the square, not like simply for passing "GO" in standard Monopoly.

SteamKing said:
Not every physicist collects a closet-full of Nobel prizes.

Make the windfall kick in only if the player actually lands on the square, not like simply for passing "GO" in standard Monopoly.
oh I thought you were talking about the GO square.

Orodruin said:
Well, at LHC there are four main experiments and one accelerator ...
But where is the point in building experiments without accelerator? You could equally build this!
The LHC has three to four preaccelerators (depending on the way you count), but do you want to build an LHC at every lab?

Free parking should be a sabbatical. You don't get a Nobel Prize for parking.What about a fusion experiment like JET? The ISS could go in there, too.

pub_end112-899x600.jpg

FAQ: Design Your Own Physics Monopoly Board | Fun Ideas & Suggestions

1. What is the purpose of designing a physics Monopoly board?

The purpose of designing a physics Monopoly board is to combine the fun and competitiveness of the classic game with educational concepts from the field of physics. It allows players to learn about different physics principles while playing a familiar and enjoyable game.

2. How can I incorporate physics concepts into the game?

There are many ways to incorporate physics concepts into the game. You can use physics equations as rent prices for properties, use physics-related chance and community chest cards, or even create custom game pieces based on famous scientists or inventions.

3. Do I need to have a deep understanding of physics to design the board?

No, you do not need to be an expert in physics to design the board. However, having a basic understanding of physics principles and terminology will make it easier to come up with creative and accurate ideas for the board.

4. Can I customize the game to fit a specific age group or level of knowledge?

Yes, you can customize the game to fit any age group or level of knowledge. For younger players, you can use simpler physics concepts and for older players, you can incorporate more advanced principles. You can also adjust the difficulty level by changing the prices of properties or the rewards for completing challenges.

5. Is there a limit to how many physics concepts I can include in the game?

There is no set limit to how many physics concepts you can include in the game. However, it is recommended to have a good balance between fun and educational elements to keep players engaged and interested. You can always add or remove concepts to fit your game design and goals.