PHYSiCS NEED HELP please show work

In summary, the problem involves a professional race-car driver with a car that can accelerate at +5.9m/s² and a stock-car driver with a constant acceleration of +3.6 m/s². The sports-car driver starts from rest, but the stock-car driver leaves 1.0 s before. The questions ask for the time it takes for the sports-car driver to overtake the stock-car driver, the distance the two drivers travel before they are side by side, and the velocities of both cars at the instant they are side by side. The solution requires using equations of motion and setting up a system of equations to solve for the unknown variables.
bsmith8808
PHYSiCS NEED HELP ASAP! please show work

Homework Statement

A professional race-car driver buys a car that can accelerate at +5.9m/s². The racer decide to race against another driver in a souped-up stock car. Both start from rest, but the stock-car driver leaves 1.0 s before the driver of the sports car. The stock car moves with a constant acceleration of +3.6 m/s².
a. Find the time it takes the sports-car driver to overtake the stock- car driver.
b. Find the distance the two drivers travel before they are side by side.
c. Find the velocities of both cars at the instant they are side by side.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org

Nobody is going to do your homework for you. People may assist with it, but only if you make an attempt at it. What have you tried?

I have made numerous attempts, I don't understand how to find the time when you don't know the final velocity or the displacement.

FAQ: PHYSiCS NEED HELP please show work

1. What is the definition of physics?

Physics is the branch of science that deals with matter, energy, motion, and force. It seeks to understand the fundamental laws and principles that govern the behavior of the universe.

2. How can I solve physics problems more effectively?

To solve physics problems effectively, it is important to have a solid understanding of the concepts and equations involved. Practice regularly and break down complex problems into smaller, more manageable parts. Drawing diagrams and making use of available resources, such as textbooks or online tutorials, can also be helpful.

3. What is the role of mathematics in physics?

Mathematics plays a crucial role in physics as it provides a language to describe and quantify physical phenomena. Many concepts and principles in physics are expressed using mathematical equations and models, which help us to make predictions and understand the behavior of the physical world.

4. Can you explain the difference between classical and modern physics?

Classical physics refers to the laws and principles developed by scientists such as Isaac Newton and Galileo Galilei, which describe the behavior of macroscopic objects and systems. Modern physics, on the other hand, encompasses the theories and principles that were developed in the early 20th century to explain the behavior of subatomic particles and the phenomena observed at the atomic and molecular level.

5. How can I improve my understanding of physics concepts?

To improve your understanding of physics concepts, it is important to actively engage with the material. This can include reading textbooks, attending lectures and tutorials, and practicing problems. It can also be helpful to discuss concepts with classmates or seek help from a tutor or teacher if needed.