Physics of Human Voice: Factors Affecting Volume

In summary, the conversation discusses the factors that determine the volume of a voice. The speaker initially thought that increasing energy and exhaling faster would increase volume, but there are other mechanisms that can achieve the same result. The Wikipedia article on vocal pedagogy is suggested as a resource for further information on developing the singing voice, which may also apply to speech.
a87pal
Hi everyone. I have a basic question about the biomechanics of speech. If this is already answered please direct me to the solution.

I'm trying to determine the main factors which determine the volume of a voice.

What I think I know: when a human produces sound, air is forced out of lungs and hits various parts of the vocal passage causing them to vibrate and produce sound. Intuitively, I originally thought to increase volume, I simply needed to increase energy, and thus increase the speed the air by exhaling faster.

While this does work. I know there are ways to increase volume without increasing the speed of exhale. I'd like to know how these mechanisms would work. Any thoughts?

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, I don't know myself, but the wikipedia article seems to have a lot of info. This is focused on developing the singing voice, but I would think at least some of it applies to normal speech as well.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vocal_pedagogy

FAQ: Physics of Human Voice: Factors Affecting Volume

1. What is the physics behind the volume of human voice?

The volume of human voice is determined by the amplitude of the sound waves produced by the vocal folds in the larynx. The greater the amplitude, the louder the sound will be. This is known as the sound intensity and is measured in decibels (dB).

2. What factors affect the volume of human voice?

There are several factors that can affect the volume of human voice, such as the size and shape of the vocal folds, the strength of the muscles controlling the vocal folds, and the amount of air passing through the vocal folds. Additionally, factors such as the environment, emotions, and vocal technique can also have an impact on the volume of the voice.

3. How does the environment affect the volume of human voice?

The environment can greatly impact the volume of human voice. In a quiet room, the sound waves can travel easily and produce a louder voice. However, in a noisy environment, the sound waves can get absorbed or distorted, resulting in a softer voice. This is why people tend to raise their voices in noisy settings.

4. How do emotions affect the volume of human voice?

Emotions can also play a role in the volume of human voice. When a person is feeling excited or angry, they tend to speak louder due to the increase in muscle tension and air pressure. On the other hand, when a person is sad or scared, their voice may become softer due to the decrease in muscle tension and air pressure.

5. Can vocal technique affect the volume of human voice?

Yes, vocal technique can greatly affect the volume of human voice. Proper breathing techniques, posture, and vocal warm-ups can help to improve the volume and projection of the voice. Additionally, using the diaphragm to control breath support and resonance can also contribute to a louder and more powerful voice.