Physics of Soccer: Air Pressure & Curveball Paths

• Thread starter Leboss1234
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of the physics of soccer and specifically how air pressure affects the path of a curveball. The conversation also mentions the use of a ball lanching machine to test this concept and suggests looking into the magnus effect for a theoretical approach. There is also a mention of the lift equation and the relationship between air pressure and density. The conversation concludes with a request for help in building a soccer ball machine.
Leboss1234
Hello,
I'm doing an extended Essay for my IB diploma on the Physics of soccer. My research question is how does the air pressure affect the path of a curveball? i don't have a ball lanching machine... Any ideas for easy ways to make one. It just has to kick the ball!Any advice or help would be very much appreciated

Physics news on Phys.org
a simple pendulum

Think, where can the air pressure come in. Does it change the density of air?

What forces act on the ball when flying in air? read this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drag_(physics)

ehild

For a theoretical approach, have a look at the magnus effect. This is the effect that causes balls to curve when they are translated and spun.

The only variable dependant on absolute air pressure on the lift equation is density of the air. A higher pressure will increase the air density.

Building a rig to test this would be nice, but how do you plan on changing the pressure of the environment? Or do you mean the effect that the air pressure in the ball has?

Ya that's exactly what i mean! Thanks for the help. I have just one problem which is the soccer ball machine. I have 2 weeks until the first draft and I've been trying a lot of designs but they don't work, i burnt myself 4 times and got electrecuted! HELP!

Related to Physics of Soccer: Air Pressure & Curveball Paths

What is the role of air pressure in the physics of soccer?

The air pressure inside a soccer ball affects its movement and trajectory. A ball with higher air pressure will travel farther and faster, while a ball with lower air pressure will not travel as far or as fast. This is because the air inside the ball creates a force that pushes against the surface of the ball, which in turn affects its flight.

How does air pressure affect the curve of a soccer ball?

The air pressure inside a soccer ball can also cause it to curve or swerve in flight. This is due to the Magnus effect, where the spin of the ball creates a difference in air pressure on either side, causing it to curve in the direction of the lower pressure. Higher air pressure can result in a greater curve, while lower air pressure can result in a straighter path.

What is the ideal air pressure for a soccer ball?

The ideal air pressure for a soccer ball is typically between 8.5 and 15.6 psi (pounds per square inch). This range allows for a good balance between distance and control, as well as a consistent bounce and flight. However, the specific ideal pressure may vary depending on factors such as the type of ball and playing conditions.

How does altitude affect the air pressure and flight of a soccer ball?

As altitude increases, the air pressure decreases, resulting in a decrease in the amount of air resistance on a soccer ball. This means that a ball will travel farther and faster at higher altitudes compared to lower altitudes. Additionally, the lower air pressure at higher altitudes can also affect the amount of curve on a ball, making it more difficult for players to control their shots.

Can the physics of soccer be used to improve performance?

Yes, understanding the physics of soccer, including air pressure and curveball paths, can help players improve their performance. By adjusting the air pressure inside the ball, players can control the distance and direction of their shots. Additionally, understanding the Magnus effect can help players predict the movement of the ball and make more accurate passes and shots.