Physics or Math & Physics: Which Program Should I Choose?

• Thread starter QuantumOne
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, the McGill physics program has both an Honours and a Joint Honours option. The Joint Honours program has more basic math courses, and the Honours program has more physics courses. The math courses may be helpful if you want to do a physics grad study, but the physics courses are more important. The Joint Honours program does not have a thesis, but the physics program does.
QuantumOne
Hello. I have been accepted to the physics program at McGill university and I have to choose one of their programs. However I cannot seem to decide between these two:

Honours Physics: http://www.physics.mcgill.ca/ugrads/honours.html

Joint Honours Math & Physics: http://www.physics.mcgill.ca/ugrads/math.html

The difference is mainly that you replace a thesis and some grad-level physics courses (such as general relativity, introduction to string theory, particle physics, etc) for some basic undegrad math (Analysis 1, 2, 3 Algebra 1, 2 Differential geometry.. etc)

I love both math and physics but I am not entirely sure of what I would like to do next. I believe it would be either theoretical physics or biophysics. I would not consider grad studies in mathematics though.

I could always take the math courses as electives if I choose the physics program, but then I would not graduate with both degrees.

What do you think would be best?

Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
And how about you do the Math&Physics program and choose the physics courses (GR, String theory, particle physics) as electives? Is that an option?

Personally I would also prefer a physics grad study over pure mathematics, but I have doubled my undergrad in physics and math and found the additional math courses to be extremely helpful.
Whether you want the double degree, is up to you. Of course, it always looks so much cooler when you have both, but if it will make a difference (e.g. you will get a job sooner with a double degree than just one) I cannot tell you: I don't have any experience with that (yet) and it probably differs from one country to another.

I guess I could do that! (Although it would mean having no more room for a language or some other interesting course outside of math/physics)

In what way were your math courses helpful?

and

How important do you think an undergrad research thesis is? (the joint program does not have one, the physics program does)

Thanks again!

Well, I'm in Math&Physics at Mcgill. You can still do GR, intro to string theory and all that in U3, you just don't have as many free slots. Yes, you can take them as electives, though you only get 3. In your first year, the only difference is that you'll be doing Algebra I in your first term (which I recommend if you have some interest in math) as opposed to an elective. In your second term, when you have math you'll have a choice between applied linear algebra or algebra 2 (which is also linear algebra, but more theoretical). From what I've heard from people who did applied lin. algebra, the professor is horrible, so you may want to stay away from that class (which you can't do if you haven't done algebra I). For U2, the difference is that you have one less elective in math and you don't get to do lab in modern physics, though I think you can do it in U3. You can always do an honours research project in U3...
Bottom line, I'd really recommend taking Algebra I in your first term, just to get a feel for what the math side of the program is (Ad. Cal doesn't really do it justice). If that's not your cup of tea, then go into just physics.

Oh wow, thanks for the advice. I will give the joint program a try.

Thanks again!

FAQ: Physics or Math & Physics: Which Program Should I Choose?

1. What is the difference between physics and math & physics?

Physics is a natural science that focuses on understanding the fundamental principles of the universe, such as energy, matter, motion, and forces. It involves making observations, formulating theories and laws, and conducting experiments to explain and predict the behavior of physical systems. Math & physics, on the other hand, is a combination of mathematics and physics, where mathematical tools and equations are used to solve problems and make predictions in physics.

2. Which is more important, physics or math & physics?

Both physics and math & physics are equally important in their own ways. Physics provides the conceptual framework and understanding of the natural world, while math & physics provides the necessary mathematical tools to describe and analyze physical phenomena. Both are essential for a deeper understanding of the laws and principles governing the universe.

3. Do you need to be good at math to study physics?

Yes, a strong foundation in mathematics is crucial for studying physics. Physics involves using mathematical models and equations to describe and predict the behavior of physical systems. Without a good understanding of math, it would be challenging to understand and apply the concepts and theories in physics.

4. Can you study math & physics without studying physics separately?

Yes, it is possible to study math & physics without studying physics separately. In fact, many universities offer combined degrees in math & physics, where students learn both subjects simultaneously. However, studying physics separately can provide a deeper understanding of the fundamental principles and theories, which can then be applied in math & physics.

5. What career options are available for those with a degree in math & physics?

A degree in math & physics can open up a wide range of career options in various industries, including research, engineering, finance, data analysis, computer science, and more. Graduates with this degree have strong analytical, problem-solving, and critical thinking skills, making them highly sought after by employers in many fields.