Physics proton electric field questions

In summary, In the first conversation, we discussed about the interaction between a charged rod and a suspended object, and concluded that the suspended object is negatively charged when attracted to a positively charged rod. In the second conversation, we explored the relationship between a proton's motion and a constant electric field, and determined that the proton's velocity is not parallel to the electric field, and its acceleration is dependent on the force in the direction of the electric field. However, the answer to whether the proton's acceleration is parallel to the electric field is not clear and may require further understanding of the definitions and principles involved.
sophia.m
I have multiple choice questions, but I only get one chance, so I want to make sure I answer correctly.

1. A charged rod is brought near a suspended object, which is attracted to the rod. Can we conclude that the suspended object is charged? Explain.
o Yes
o No

Yes, the suspended object is negatively charged.

2. A proton moves in a region of constant electric field. Does it follow that the proton's velocity is parallel to the electric field?
o Yes
o No

No, it moves in the opposite direction.

Does it follow that the proton's acceleration is parallel to the electric field? Explain.
o Yes
o No

I am not sure in this case.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
sophia.m said:
I have multiple choice questions, but I only get one chance, so I want to make sure I answer correctly.

1. A charged rod is brought near a suspended object, which is attracted to the rod. Can we conclude that the suspended object is charged? Explain.
o Yes
o No

Yes, the suspended object is negatively charged.
You're right if the rod is positively charged.
sophia.m said:
2. A proton moves in a region of constant electric field. Does it follow that the proton's velocity is parallel to the electric field?
o Yes
o No

No, it moves in the opposite direction.
Okay, you might say it's anti-parallel I think. But isn't the convention of the E-field direction as being from positive to negative charge? Think about it.
Plus, a proton could have been throw in the E-field and its motion wouldn't be a straight line, making the question hard to answer.

sophia.m said:
Does it follow that the proton's acceleration is parallel to the electric field? Explain.
o Yes
o No

I am not sure in this case.
It does not follow from the past question, but in a constant E field, the proton suffer a force in the direction of the E-field. Why? Check out the definition of E-field, it is related to the force. Then think about Newton's second law about how force and acceleration are related.

FAQ: Physics proton electric field questions

1. What is a proton and how does it relate to electric fields?

A proton is a subatomic particle found in the nucleus of an atom. It has a positive charge and contributes to the overall electric field of an atom. Electric fields are created by the presence of charged particles, such as protons, and can influence the motion and behavior of other charged particles.

2. How does the electric field of a proton compare to that of an electron?

The electric field of a proton is the same strength as that of an electron, but the direction is opposite. This means that the electric field lines around a proton point away from it, while the electric field lines around an electron point towards it.

3. How is the strength of an electric field affected by the distance from a proton?

The strength of an electric field decreases as the distance from a proton increases. This is because the electric field follows an inverse-square law, meaning that it decreases by a factor of four as the distance is doubled.

4. How does the electric field of a proton change when it is in motion?

When a proton is in motion, its electric field changes due to the effects of relativity. The electric field lines become distorted and the strength of the field increases in the direction of motion.

5. Can protons exist in a vacuum with no electric field?

No, protons cannot exist in a vacuum with no electric field. This is because they have an electric charge and would create an electric field around them. In order for protons to exist in a vacuum, they would need to be paired with an equal number of electrons to cancel out their electric fields.

Back