Physics puzzle ratios of two times which it take an object to fall down.

In summary: Luckily, the force of gravity is linear for a sphere, so the center of mass will fall at a constant acceleration. The center will be at R/2. The exact location of the alien depends on the density.In summary, the question is asking for the ratio between the times it takes for an alien to fall through two spheres of equal density, one with a radius of R and the other with a radius of R/2. The aliens are falling to the center of the spheres, and the question assumes that the force of gravity is linear for a sphere. However, the exact location of the alien depends on the density, making this a more complex problem that requires the use of calculus or a digital model to solve.
nickthrop101

Homework Statement

What is the ratio between times for the aliens to hit the floor. you have two spheres of equal density throughout. One has a radius R and the other 1/2R. An alien falls down one and takes time T, the other it falls down in time t. In the second on, time t, half of the mass of the ball is taken out and it only haas to fall down half of r to the center. What is the ratio between times?

Homework Equations

i think 4(pie)r^2
v=v+ta^2
(v+ta^2)T=d

The Attempt at a Solution

if the mass was the same, it would take a time ^2 betwen them as acceleration is squared due to gravity, so i think it would just be Ta^2:1/2T^2
i know this is wrong but I am not sure how to go on

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm puzzled by the wording. Could you provide the exact wording of the question and any diagram that comes with it?
An alien falls down one
One what? If one of the spheres, are we sliding down the outside or falling inside of the the sphere? Are the aliens falling near the surface of the Earth or what? The 1/(2R) sphere will likely be quite small, so the size of the alien will probably be important.

Last edited:
sorry i was typing this quite quickly, the question was given to me by my physsics teacher to remember so no diagram but it says thaat there is a mining project on an alien planet to the center of the planet and the alien hyperthetically falls down the mineshaft to the bottom of the shaft (The centre of a planet) Then in asimilar situation but half the radius and half the mass of the first sphere an alien falls into the center of it :D is that okay

This is a very different question from the first post!
"Half the radius and half the mass" is very surprising since mass is 4/3*pi*R³*Density - with 1/2 the radius you would expect 1/8 the mass. Unless the density is much greater for the second planet.

This problem is actually quite difficult since the force of gravity is GMm/R² where M is the mass of the planet up to radius R. So the force varies with R during the fall. Acceleration is not constant, and you can't use constant acceleration formulas. You will need to use calculus or a digital (spreadsheet?) model to work out the time to fall.

about it.

I would approach this problem by first identifying the relevant equations and principles that apply to the situation. In this case, we are dealing with the concept of acceleration due to gravity and the equations of motion. The equation for acceleration due to gravity is a = g, where g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2 on Earth). The equations of motion are v = u + at and s = ut + 1/2at^2, where v is final velocity, u is initial velocity, a is acceleration, t is time, and s is displacement.

Next, I would analyze the given information and try to understand the scenario. We have two spheres of equal density, but one has a radius of R and the other has a radius of 1/2R. An alien falls down one sphere in time T, and the other sphere has half of its mass removed and the alien falls down in time t. The second sphere also only has to fall half of the radius to reach the center.

Based on this information, I would first calculate the acceleration due to gravity for both spheres using the equation a = g. Since the spheres have equal density, their masses would also be equal. The mass of the first sphere would be 4/3 πR^3ρ, where ρ is the density of the sphere. The mass of the second sphere would be 4/3 π(1/2R)^3ρ = 1/8(4/3 πR^3ρ) = 1/8m, where m is the mass of the first sphere. Therefore, the acceleration due to gravity for the first sphere would be g = GM/R^2, where G is the gravitational constant, and for the second sphere it would be g' = GM/2R^2.

Next, I would use the equations of motion to calculate the time taken for each sphere to fall. For the first sphere, we have s = R, u = 0, a = g, and t = T. Plugging these values into the equation s = ut + 1/2at^2, we get R = 1/2gT^2, or T = √(2R/g). For the second sphere, we have s = 1/2R, u = 0, a = g', and t = t. Plugging these values into

Related to Physics puzzle ratios of two times which it take an object to fall down.

1. How do you calculate the ratio of time it takes for an object to fall down?

The ratio of time it takes for an object to fall down is calculated by dividing the time it takes for the object to fall by the time it takes for a standard object to fall. This standard object is usually a freely falling object with no air resistance, such as a feather or a piece of paper. The ratio is then expressed as a decimal or a percentage.

2. What factors affect the ratio of time it takes for an object to fall down?

The ratio of time it takes for an object to fall down can be affected by a few different factors. These include the object's mass, shape, and surface area, as well as the presence of air resistance and the strength of gravity in that particular location.

3. How does air resistance affect the ratio of time it takes for an object to fall down?

Air resistance can significantly affect the ratio of time it takes for an object to fall down. Objects with a larger surface area or irregular shape will experience more air resistance, causing them to fall slower and have a higher ratio compared to a smaller, more streamlined object.

4. Can the ratio of time it takes for an object to fall down be greater than 1?

Yes, the ratio of time it takes for an object to fall down can be greater than 1. This means that the object is falling slower than the standard object used for comparison. This can occur due to factors such as air resistance or a weaker gravitational pull.

5. How is the ratio of time it takes for an object to fall down useful in physics?

The ratio of time it takes for an object to fall down can provide valuable information about the properties of the object and the environment in which it is falling. It can also be used to make predictions and calculations in various physics problems, such as determining the trajectory of a falling object or the impact force upon landing.