Physics Question: Determining Magnetic Flux & Induced EMF

If the loop is a rectangle, the magnetic flux will be the magnetic field multiplied by the area of the loop. "To determine the magnetic flux through a loop due to a current "I", first find the magnetic field generated by the current using a formula from your textbook. Then, integrate the magnetic field over the area of the loop. If the loop is a rectangle, the magnetic flux can be found by multiplying the magnetic field by the area of the loop. The direction of the current can be determined by considering the orientation of the loop and the direction of the changing current.
tstar2
can someone pls help me on a physics question??...i've read my text 2 times and still can't figure this out!...how do you determine the magnetic flux through a loop due to a current "I"??...it's a loop under a wire carring a current...then calculate the induced emf when the current is changing with time according to I=a+bt, a and b are constants...b=10.0A/s h=1cm, w=10cm, l=100cm...then determine the direction of the current in the loop (rectangle)...if anyone can help me with this, it would be greatly appreciated:)...thanks in advance for your help...

Physics news on Phys.org
Originally posted by tstar2
...how do you determine the magnetic flux through a loop due to a current "I"??...it's a loop under a wire carring a current...
Find the magnetic field generated by the current (there's probably a formula in your book for the magnetic field do to an infinite straight line of current). Integrate that over the area of the loop. Is the loop a rectangle? That would simplify the integration tremendously.

To determine the magnetic flux through a loop due to a current "I", you can use the formula: Φ = BAcosθ, where Φ is the magnetic flux, B is the magnetic field strength, A is the area of the loop, and θ is the angle between the magnetic field and the perpendicular to the loop.

In this case, the magnetic field is created by the wire carrying the current, and the loop is under the wire. So, the magnetic field is perpendicular to the loop, and the angle θ is 90 degrees. The area of the loop can be calculated by multiplying the length and width of the loop (A = lw).

Using the given values, B = μ0I/2πr, where μ0 is the permeability of free space, I is the current, and r is the distance between the wire and the loop (which is equal to the height, h, in this case).

So, the magnetic flux through the loop can be calculated as Φ = (μ0I/2πh)(lw).

To calculate the induced emf, we can use Faraday's law: ε = -N(dΦ/dt), where ε is the induced emf, N is the number of turns in the loop, and dΦ/dt is the rate of change of magnetic flux.

In this case, the current is changing with time according to I = a + bt, so the rate of change of current is b. Thus, the induced emf can be calculated as ε = -N(dΦ/dt) = -N(lw)(μ0b/2πh).

To determine the direction of the current in the loop, we can use Lenz's law, which states that the induced current will flow in a direction that opposes the change in magnetic flux. So, in this case, the induced current will flow in a direction opposite to the direction of the changing current in the wire.

I hope this helps in solving your physics question. Good luck!

FAQ: Physics Question: Determining Magnetic Flux & Induced EMF

1. What is magnetic flux and how is it determined?

Magnetic flux is the measure of the amount of magnetic field passing through a given area. It is determined by multiplying the strength of the magnetic field by the perpendicular area that it passes through.

2. What is induced EMF and how is it related to magnetic flux?

Induced EMF (electromotive force) is the voltage that is created when a conductor moves within a magnetic field, causing a change in the magnetic flux. It is directly proportional to the rate of change of magnetic flux.

3. How can the direction of induced EMF be determined?

The direction of induced EMF can be determined using Lenz's Law, which states that the direction of the induced current will be in the opposite direction of the change in magnetic flux that caused it.

4. What factors affect the magnitude of induced EMF?

The magnitude of induced EMF is affected by the strength of the magnetic field, the velocity of the conductor, and the angle between the magnetic field and the direction of motion of the conductor.

5. How is Faraday's Law used to calculate induced EMF?

Faraday's Law states that the induced EMF is equal to the negative of the rate of change of magnetic flux. This means that the induced EMF can be calculated by finding the rate of change of magnetic flux over a certain period of time.