Physics Question Involving Angular Speed and Angular Velocity.

In summary, the conversation discusses an early method of measuring the speed of light using a rotating slotted wheel. The wheel has a radius of 5.6 cm and 75 slots at its edge, and is placed 800 m away from a distant mirror. The speed of light is measured to be 3.0 x 10^5 km/s. The conversation then poses two questions: (a) the angular speed of the wheel and (b) the linear speed of a point on the edge of the wheel. Through calculations, the angular speed is determined to be 15,707 rad/s and the linear speed is 938.291 rad/s. However, the initial rounding of the time value causes a significant error in the
McAfee

Homework Statement

An early method of measuring the speed of light makes use of a rotating slotted wheel. A beam of light passes through a slot at the outside edge of the wheel, as in Fig. 10-29, travels to a distant mirror, and returns to the wheel just in time to pass through the next slot in the wheel. One such slotted wheel has a radius of 5.6 cm and 75 slots at its edge. Measurements taken when the mirror is L = 800 m from the wheel indicate a speed of light of 3.0 x 105 km/s. (a) What is the (constant) angular speed of the wheel? (b) What is the linear speed of a point on the edge of the wheel?

fizg0.gif

Homework Equations

t=(2L)/C

angular velcity= answer is part a *.056m

The Attempt at a Solution

For part (a)
I did use =angle/time

angle I solve (2Pi)/75 = .083776

I used t = 2L/c = 2(800)/(3x10^8) = .000005 sec

Then divided .083776/.000005 = 16755.2 rad/s

For part (b)

= my answer is part(a) * .056m

=938.291 rad/s

I know I'm doing something wrong, but don't know what it is. Can anyone help?

Physics news on Phys.org
I get 15,707 rad/s. You're introducing a huge error by prematurely rounding the value of the Δt to 5e-6 s when it should be 5.333333333333e-6 s. Keep all significant figures in intermediate calculation steps. Round only the final answer at the end.

You are right I rounded to early so it affected by final answer thank you very much and I hope you had a Happy Thanksgiving as well.

FAQ: Physics Question Involving Angular Speed and Angular Velocity.

1. What is the difference between angular speed and angular velocity?

Angular speed and angular velocity are both measures of how fast something is rotating. However, angular speed is a scalar quantity that only describes the magnitude of the rotation, while angular velocity is a vector quantity that also includes the direction of the rotation.

2. How is angular speed calculated?

Angular speed is calculated by dividing the angle through which an object rotates by the time it takes to complete that rotation. It is typically measured in radians per second (rad/s).

3. Can angular speed be constant?

Yes, angular speed can be constant if the object is rotating at a consistent rate. However, the direction of the rotation may change, resulting in a non-constant angular velocity.

4. How is angular velocity related to linear velocity?

Angular velocity and linear velocity are related through the formula v = ωr, where v is linear velocity, ω is angular velocity, and r is the distance from the axis of rotation to the object. This means that the linear velocity of an object increases as its distance from the axis of rotation increases.

5. How is angular speed affected by changes in radius?

As the radius of an object's rotation increases, its angular speed decreases. This is because the same amount of rotation is spread out over a larger distance, resulting in a slower angular speed. This is similar to how a car traveling a longer distance in the same amount of time would have a slower speed than a car traveling a shorter distance.