Physics Question Over 2 Dimensional Friction Problems

In summary: I used centripetal force to represent this inward force. I understand that it is not an actual force, but rather a direction of the net force. For c) If the normal force is 0, then the only force acting on the glass is the weight. But in order to prevent the glass from falling out of the bucket, there must be an additional force acting on the glass, which is the centripetal force provided by the tension in the string. For d) If the string can only handle a maximum tension of 100 N, then the speed at which the tension reaches 100 N will be the maximum speed at which the
Xazerd said:
So is this the equation I use for part c and d, but I have to combine the mass of both the bucket and glass?

Not for part c)

You got part c.

Gravity the sole actor for the centripetal force in c, so mass cancels.

Part d) would occur at the bottom of the circular path. So the tension, or more directly the normal force would act up, and gravity acts down. If you combine mass of the glass and the bucket then you can use tension.

Physics news on Phys.org
pgardn said:
Not for part c)

You got part c.

Gravity the sole actor for the centripetal force in c, so mass cancels.

Part d) would occur at the bottom of the circular path. So the tension, or more directly the normal force would act up, and gravity acts down. If you combine mass of the glass and the bucket then you can use tension.

Ok. Got it. Thanks!

Xazerd said:
Ok. Got it. Thanks!

Sorry I did not read the question more carefully and used part a) for everything.

No Problem!