Physics-Stable Equilibrium and Oscillations

In summary, a one-dimensional force F(x)=(3.0N/sqrt(m))*sqrt(x)-(1.0N/m)x acts on an object of mass m=2.57kg. To find the position x0 where the mass is at a stable equilibrium, F(x) is set equal to 0 and the resulting values of x are x=0 and x=9. Taking the derivative of F(x) and evaluating it at x=9 gives F'(9)=-0.5, indicating a stable equilibrium point. For part b, the frequency of small oscillations around the equilibrium position is calculated using the equation 1/(2pi)*sqrt(k/m), where k=.5. If the first term (the
smiles75

Homework Statement

A one-dimensional force F(x)=(3.0N/sqrt(m))*sqrt(x)-(1.0N/m)x acts on an object of mass m = 2.57kg.

a Find the position x0 where the mass is at a stable equilibrium.
b Find the frequency of small oscillations around that equilibrium position. How does this compare to the
frequency if we were to simply ignore the rst term (the square root dependence) in the force?

Homework Equations

F(x)=0

The Attempt at a Solution

So for the first part i set F(x)=0 and i got x=0 and x=23.13 but then i did it again and got x=0 and x=64.274 I have noooo idea how they ended up that different. and I'm not even honestly sure how to start b. anything would be helpful.

Physics news on Phys.org
You need to redo part a because both of your answers don't make sense. Note that the m in the first term is part of the units and stands for meters; it's not the mass.

(3.0N/m^1/2 )x^1/2 - (1.0N/m)x acts on an object of mass m = 2.57kg. <- that is my problem copied and pasted... so Newton/sqrt(meter) i don't get that :/

Vela's correct. Since F(x) is force, it has a unit of 1 Newton. For the function to equal that, m must be meters since if m is mass, x would become mass which x isn't according to the text. m must be meters for the units to make sense.

So, pretty much you're telling me my life got 10x easier? thank you haha. in that case... would i be correct in saying that it's at x=0 and x=9? and then take the derivative which would be...
F'(x)=(3/2)x^-1/2-1 so if i use 0 its undefined, so therefore 9 is stable. that's part A.
so F'(9)=-.5
and for part b would i just use... 1/(2pi)*sqrt(k/m) (where k=.5) which would equal... .0702hz? i hope my units are right... and then if the sqrt wasn't there, k=1 so it would be .0992hz. Please anyone, correct me if I'm wrong.

smiles75 said:
So, pretty much you're telling me my life got 10x easier? thank you haha. in that case... would i be correct in saying that it's at x=0 and x=9? and then take the derivative which would be...
F'(x)=(3/2)x^-1/2-1 so if i use 0 its undefined, so therefore 9 is stable. that's part A.
so F'(9)=-.5
F'(0) being undefined doesn't imply x=9 is stable. It's the fact that F'(9)<0 that tells you that's a stable equilibrium point.
and for part b would i just use... 1/(2pi)*sqrt(k/m) (where k=.5) which would equal... .0702hz? i hope my units are right... and then if the sqrt wasn't there, k=1 so it would be .0992hz. Please anyone, correct me if I'm wrong.
I didn't check your actual numbers, but I can verify your method is correct.

FAQ: Physics-Stable Equilibrium and Oscillations

What is stable equilibrium in physics?

Stable equilibrium in physics refers to a state where an object or system is in a balanced position and will return to that position after being disturbed. This is due to the object or system having a lower potential energy in that position compared to any other nearby positions.

What is unstable equilibrium in physics?

Unstable equilibrium in physics refers to a state where an object or system is in a balanced position, but any small disturbance will cause it to move away from that position. This is due to the object or system having a higher potential energy in that position compared to other nearby positions.

What is simple harmonic motion?

Simple harmonic motion is a type of oscillatory motion where an object or system moves back and forth around a stable equilibrium point, with a constant period and amplitude. This type of motion can be described by a sine or cosine function.

What is the difference between a pendulum and a spring-mass system?

A pendulum is a type of oscillator that consists of a weight suspended from a fixed point, while a spring-mass system is an oscillator that consists of a mass attached to a spring. The main difference between the two is the type of restoring force that brings the object back to its equilibrium position. A pendulum has a gravitational restoring force, while a spring-mass system has an elastic restoring force.

Can an object have more than one stable equilibrium point?

Yes, an object can have more than one stable equilibrium point. This is known as multiple equilibrium points and can occur when the object has different potential energy levels for different positions. The object will remain in whichever equilibrium point it is placed in, depending on the initial conditions and any external forces acting on it.

Back