Which Edition of Halliday Resnick Walker is Best for Self-Studying Physics?

In summary, the individual is seeking textbook recommendations for self-studying physics, specifically for forming a base in basic physics and preparing for advanced topics in modern physics. They are currently in high school and have studied mechanics and properties of matter, and will be studying electromagnetism and optics next year. Some suggested books include Halliday Resnick Walker Fundamentals of Physics, Tsokos' Physics for the IB Diploma, Kleppner's An Introduction to Mechanics, Kline's calculus book, and K&K. They are also advised to learn vector calculus and check out the website www.mathispower4u.com for helpful videos.
anti quark
I need textbook recommendations for self studying physics. I thought of buying the classic Halliday Resnick Walker Fundamentals of Physics, but was confused about which edition I need to buy.

I plan to teach myself the whole of basic physics, thus forming a base to further study certain topics in modern physics such as general relativity, advanced quantum mechanics and cosmology

I am currently studying in high school ( studying stuff like motion in 1 and 2 dimensions, thermodynamics, etc.. mainly mechanics and properties of matter.) Next year I have stuff like Electromagnetism and optics etc..

Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
An Introduction to Mechanics by Kleppner

Perhaps start with Kline's calculus book, you'll need to beef up your math knowledge to be able to use the best books. Then you should hit the heavies like K&K.

Last edited:
Thanks guys, I am currently learning calculus with thomas'

try learning vector calculus after multivariable

Related to Which Edition of Halliday Resnick Walker is Best for Self-Studying Physics?

1. What topics are typically covered in a physics textbook for self-study?

A physics textbook for self-study usually covers topics such as mechanics, thermodynamics, electromagnetism, optics, and quantum mechanics. It may also include sections on relativity, astrophysics, and nuclear physics.

2. Is a physics textbook for self-study suitable for beginners?

Yes, many physics textbooks for self-study are designed for beginners and assume no prior knowledge of the subject. However, it is important to choose a textbook that matches your level of understanding and provides clear explanations and examples.

3. Are there any online resources that can supplement a physics textbook for self-study?

Yes, there are many online resources such as video lectures, interactive simulations, and practice problems that can supplement a physics textbook for self-study. These resources can help reinforce concepts and provide additional practice.

4. How can I make the most out of using a physics textbook for self-study?

To make the most out of a physics textbook for self-study, it is important to read and understand the material thoroughly, take notes, and practice solving problems. It can also be helpful to discuss difficult concepts with others and seek clarification from a teacher or tutor if needed.

5. Can a physics textbook for self-study prepare me for advanced physics courses?

Yes, a well-written and comprehensive physics textbook for self-study can provide a solid foundation for advanced physics courses. It is important to choose a textbook that covers the necessary topics and provides challenging problems to develop problem-solving skills.