Physics Textbooks and Learning Materials- Help

In summary, for college level physics textbooks covering classical mechanics, electrodynamics, and thermodynamics, Halliday and Resnick and Serway and Jewett are recommended. For quantum mechanics, Griffiths and Bransden and Joachain are good options, and for relativity, Misner, Thorne and Wheeler's "Gravitation" and Schutz's book are popular choices. To understand these texts, a background in basic differential and integral calculus, as well as knowledge of differential equations and linear algebra, is necessary. Other helpful math topics include partial differential equations and mathematical methods as covered in books like Boas.
T.O.E Dream
Can someone list any physics textbooks or any other sort of learning material that i can use. It should cover most of classical mechanics (including electrodynamics, thermodynamics, etc,,,). I prefer it to have a lot of math, better than none. Also, are there separate books for quantum mechanics and relativity. And even better can you list what sort of math i need to know in order to understand it. thanks for your time.

Physics news on Phys.org
For what level?

College level texts...Halliday and Resnick is very respected, though I have regrettably not picked up a copy. I really liked Serway (now Serway and Jewett) for my calculus-based intro physics series.

Quantum, I have heard that the book by Griffiths is good at the same level (undergrad calc-based physics). He also writes a great electrodynamics text.

Relativity...good question. The traditional relativity book is Misner, Thorne and Wheeler's text "Gravitation", but it is both old and somewhat dense.

The first two courses in physics for a major would use basic differential and integral calculus. Beyond that, it is helpful and/or necessary to have differential equations and linear algebra (though, if you are a really good self-study, you might be able to pick up the math topics as you go along).

Alternative list at undergrad/beginning undergrad level:

General Physics: Halliday and Resnik, or Alonso and Finn.

EM: Wangsness, Lorrain and Corson "Electromagnetic Fields and Waves " (not their other ones).

QM: Bransden and Joachain, or Zettili.

Relativity: Schutz (haven't read the very new edition)

To read all those books you need: Calculus (single- and multi-variable); linear algebra; ordinary differential equations; maybe some partial differential equations stuff; and a good mathematical methods book, say Boas.

Good luck!

FAQ: Physics Textbooks and Learning Materials- Help

What is the best way to study from a physics textbook?

The best way to study from a physics textbook is to start by reading the chapter and taking notes on the key concepts and formulas. Then, work through practice problems at the end of the chapter to apply what you have learned. It is also helpful to form study groups or seek help from a tutor if you are struggling with a particular concept.

How often should I review my physics textbook?

It is recommended to review your physics textbook at least once a week, even if you are not currently studying that particular chapter. This will help reinforce your understanding of the material and keep it fresh in your mind.

Are there any online resources that can supplement my physics textbook?

Yes, there are many online resources available that can supplement your physics textbook. Some examples include online tutorials, video lectures, interactive simulations, and practice problems with solutions. These can be useful for further understanding difficult concepts or providing additional practice.

How can I make the most out of my physics textbook?

To make the most out of your physics textbook, it is important to actively engage with the material. This can include taking notes, highlighting important information, and working through practice problems. It is also helpful to ask questions and seek clarification if something is unclear.

How can I find a good quality physics textbook?

To find a good quality physics textbook, it is important to do some research and read reviews from other students or educators. You can also consult with your professor or classmates for recommendations. It is also helpful to preview the textbook before purchasing to ensure it covers the topics you need and is written in a clear and understandable manner.