Pi+ + p -> Sigma+ + pi+ + K0

• Thread starter sj8100
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Pi Sigma
In summary, the conversation discusses whether isospin is conserved in the reaction pi+ + p --> Sigma+ + pi+ + K0. The possible isospin values for the reactants and products are examined, and it is determined that isospin is not conserved as the RHS has an isospin value (5/2) that is not present in the LHS. The T3 component of isospin is also mentioned as a factor in determining isospin conservation. It is also noted that the presence of K0 instead of K0bar may have caused confusion in the original question.
sj8100
pi+ + p --> Sigma+ + pi+ + K0

Dear forum readers;
I have a simple question.
Could someone tell me the isospin is conserved in the above reaction? This is the way i understood this.

LHS possible Isospin values are 1/2, 3/2
RHS possible Isospin value is 5/2

5/2 is not in LHS. so, isospin is not conserved. Is this right. I am little confused here.

thanks in advanced.

Physics news on Phys.org

Ispins add like spins so the RHS has any Ispin from 1/2 to 5/2, but 5/2 is excluded by Ispin conservatiion.

Hint: Look at the T3 component of isospin.

Vanadium 50 said:
Hint: Look at the T3 component of isospin.
But that doesn't rule out I=5/2. Ispin conservation is needed for that.

Look at the T3 components of both sides.

Oh, I got confused by the question and the k instead of k0bar.
Of course, T_3 shows it violates Ispin.
Even more strongly, it is Delta S=2.

Thanks for the replies. Things are clear to me now. thanks.

Related to Pi+ + p -> Sigma+ + pi+ + K0

What is the meaning of "Pi+ + p -> Sigma+ + pi+ + K0"?

"Pi+ + p -> Sigma+ + pi+ + K0" is a shorthand notation for a nuclear reaction, specifically the collision between a positively charged pion (Pi+) and a proton (p) resulting in the creation of a positively charged Sigma particle (Sigma+), a positively charged pion (pi+), and a neutral K meson (K0).

What is the significance of this nuclear reaction?

This reaction is important in the study of particle physics and the structure of the atomic nucleus. It helps scientists understand the fundamental building blocks of matter and their interactions.

What is the role of each particle in this reaction?

The Pi+ and p are the initial particles that collide, while the Sigma+ and pi+ are the resulting particles. The K0 is also a resulting particle, but it is neutral and therefore does not have a charge.

What are the properties of the particles involved in this reaction?

The Pi+, Sigma+, and pi+ particles are all mesons, which means they are composed of a quark and an antiquark. The p and K0 particles are baryons, which means they are composed of three quarks. The Pi+, Sigma+, and p particles are all positively charged, while the pi+ and K0 particles are neutral.

How is this reaction studied and observed?

This reaction can be studied in particle accelerators, where high-energy particles are collided together to create new particles. Scientists can then observe the resulting particles and study their properties using various detectors and instruments.