Piano sliding down an incline - work problem

In summary, the man exerts a force of 399 N to keep the piano from moving and the work done is 1589.5 N.
confusedbyphysics
Hi, could someone please help me? Here is the problem:

"A 265 kg piano slides 4.6 m down a 30° incline and is kept from accelerating by a man who is pushing back on it parallel to the incline (Fig. 6-36). The effective coefficient of kinetic friction is 0.40.

(a) Calculate the force exerted by the man.
(b) Calculate the work done by the man on the piano.
(c) Calculate the work done by the friction force.
(d) What is the work done by the force of gravity?
(e) What is the net work done on the piano?

I already found the answer to A, which is 399 N. The friction force was 900 N, btw (need that in C I think).
Anyway, I'm trying to do B. Wouldn't the work just be zero, since the man's force has not caused any displacement of the piano. W = F d cos (angle). so with the d = 0, W would be zero...but I answered that in my Web Assign and it says that is wrong!

The 4.6 m that the piano slides down is because of the force of gravity, so I understand that would have work, but I don't get why the man would, since he's not displacing the piano, he's using his force to STOP the piano from moving. Could someone explain B to me?? thank you so much for any help

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Remember that the piano is kept from accelerating not from moving - the man is making sure the piano moves with a constant velocity.

Hm, I see..I did not read closely enough. Doh

so wouldn't W = f d cos (angle) be W = 399 X 4.6 X cos 30 ?
I got 1589.5, 1590 with 3 sig figs...but web assign says that is wrong. what am I doing wrong?

think about it again... what's the formula of work?

W = Fd when F is parallel to displacement

or W = F d cos (angle)

Im so confused. The force should be parallel to the displacement...so I tried 4.6 X 399 = 1840 J, and web assign says that is wrong too! I have one more guess before I don't get any more tries, lol. I don't know what i"m doing wrong.

the equation that you're supposed to use is

W = F d

Didn't you get the distance in the problem? Why did you try to find it with trig.? If you have to find d with cosine, then what's 4.6 m for?

Last edited:
Yea, I was confused because the book says W = fdcos(angle) but that's only when the force is not parallel to the displacement, I think.

I tried it W = F d or 399 X 4.6 and that was wrong too.

is the answer 1834.802 ?

I don't know. I got 1835.4 when I multiplied F X d. How did you get 1834.8?

I saw that you round up the decimal. I did it without rounding anything.

Oh crap...I just figured out what I needed.

A simple negative sign!

The work is in done in the force opposite of the displacement so it is negative. Finally got it right. All that headache for a damn - sign, lol

Related to Piano sliding down an incline - work problem

1. How does the angle of the incline affect the work done by the piano?

The work done by the piano sliding down an incline depends on the component of its weight that acts in the direction of motion. As the angle of the incline increases, the component of the weight acting in the direction of motion also increases, resulting in a greater amount of work being done.

2. Is friction considered in the calculation of work done by the piano?

Yes, friction is taken into account in the calculation of work done by the piano. Friction opposes the motion of the piano and therefore acts in the opposite direction of the motion. This means that friction does negative work, reducing the amount of work done by the piano.

3. How can the work-energy theorem be applied to this problem?

The work-energy theorem states that the work done on an object is equal to the change in its kinetic energy. In the case of a piano sliding down an incline, the work done by the piano is equal to its change in kinetic energy, which is equal to its final kinetic energy minus its initial kinetic energy.

4. Does the mass of the piano affect the work done?

Yes, the mass of the piano does affect the work done. The work done by an object is directly proportional to its mass. This means that a heavier piano will require more work to be done on it to reach the same final velocity as a lighter piano.

5. How does the length of the incline affect the work done by the piano?

The length of the incline does not directly affect the work done by the piano. However, a longer incline will result in a longer distance over which the piano can accelerate, ultimately resulting in a greater amount of work being done.

Back