Piano Tuning Wrenches: Exploring the Fulcrum & Flagpooling

In summary, the conversation discusses a thread on a piano tuning forum about the relationship between piano tuning wrenches and flagpooling of the pin. The thread includes drawings and explanations about the placement of the fulcrum in a turning situation and how the shape of the wrench may affect this. The participants are unsure about the exact placement of the fulcrum and the impact of the tip of the wrench on the forces applied to the pin.
corfelga
Hello everybody,

I have some interest in physics and I am an amateur piano tuner.

So I was reading the piano tuners forum and I stumbled upon this thread:

http://www.pianoworld.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/616245/1.html

The discussion is about piano tuning wrenches and how the wrench affects flagpooling of the pin.

You can get a rough idea of the wrench and pin from here:

http://www.paulhahn.com/images/piano_tuning.jpg

He is saying the you can view the tip that attaches to the pin as a t-wrench and the handle is turning the tip wrench and depending on where it attaches to the pin it changes how the pin flagpools. He has drawings and explanations in the thread.

Where is the fulcrum in a turning situation? If I put a wrench on a bolt, on which contact side is the fulcrum? Does the shape of the wrench matter or is the distance from the point of force application to the turning point all that matters?

The idea that the tip of the head changes the forces applied to the pin doesn't seem correct, but I can't explain why. I would appreciate if you could shine some light on it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hrmm. I'm not sure, but I think it might be right in the middle of whatever you are turning.

Related to Piano Tuning Wrenches: Exploring the Fulcrum & Flagpooling

1. What is a piano tuning wrench?

A piano tuning wrench is a specialized tool used to adjust the tension of the strings inside a piano in order to tune it to the correct pitch. It typically has a handle on one end and a socket or tip on the other end that fits over the tuning pins on the piano.

2. What is the fulcrum in relation to piano tuning wrenches?

The fulcrum is the point on the piano tuning wrench that acts as the pivot for the wrench to turn the tuning pins. It is usually located near the handle of the wrench and can be adjusted to change the amount of torque applied to the pins.

3. What is flagpooling and how does it affect tuning?

Flagpooling is the term used to describe the action of using the flag or handle of the tuning wrench to turn the tuning pins. This technique allows for more control and precision when adjusting the tension of the strings, resulting in a more accurate tuning.

4. How do I know which piano tuning wrench to use?

The type of piano tuning wrench needed depends on the type and model of piano being tuned. Some wrenches have a universal fit, while others are specifically designed for certain types of pianos. It is important to choose the correct size and type of wrench to avoid damaging the piano or the wrench itself.

5. Can I tune a piano without a tuning wrench?

No, a tuning wrench is a necessary tool for properly tuning a piano. It is designed specifically for this task and provides the necessary torque and control to adjust the tension of the strings accurately. Attempting to tune a piano without a tuning wrench can result in damage to the piano or an incorrect tuning.