Picking Between Embry-Riddle & FSU to Study Physics

• Thread starter Rasine
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the dilemma of choosing between attending Embry-Riddle or Florida State University for studying physics. While FSU is nearly free to attend, attending Embry-Riddle would result in a significant amount of debt. The discussion also mentions the prestige of Embry-Riddle in the field of aerospace engineering, but it is suggested that for physics, FSU would be a better choice. Ultimately, the importance of graduate school and factors such as comfort and atmosphere are emphasized in making the decision.
Rasine
i have a delimma. i can either go to embry-riddle or florida state univeristy to study physics.

fsu is nearly free for me to attend. however, i will be $80,000 + interest in debt with a BS from embry-riddle.

i still want to attend graduate school.

is it worth it to go to embry-riddle?

what would you pick?

Physics news on Phys.org
For physics, I would guess FSU. From what many have told me, Embry-Riddle is overrated even if you are going into aerospace engineering.

Riddle was name #1 in the country for aerospace engineering for schools without doctorate programs. However, if you pit it with schools with doctoral programs, the research it generates and the prestige of the faculty is not a close comparison. However, this is just what some people have told me. I wouldn't take my statement very seriously just yet.

FSU is a fine school and it will be nice having no debt when you finish. Grad school is where you should really start looking for prestige. You will learn the same things no matter where you go for ugrad if you take your education seriously. There are ugrad students at super prestigious schools that know far less than students at much less prestigious schools. Grad schools are very aware of this.

Visit both schools and find out where you will be most comfortable in general based on the atmosphere, student body and surrounding city. These factors are far more important than prestige imo.

Last edited:
Embry Riddle is very expensive. I'd go to FSU. I've been embry riddle and have friends who go there, they love it. But if it was me, I'd say FSU.

thank you for you input.

please if anyone else has an opinon or who has relations to either institution, please give me some information to guide my decesion.

FAQ: Picking Between Embry-Riddle & FSU to Study Physics

1. Which school has a better physics program?

Both Embry-Riddle and FSU have strong physics programs, so it ultimately depends on your personal preferences and career goals. Embry-Riddle has a more specialized focus on aerospace-related physics, while FSU offers a broader range of research opportunities in various fields of physics. It is recommended to research the specific courses and faculty at each school to determine which one aligns better with your interests.

2. What are the research opportunities for physics students at each school?

Both Embry-Riddle and FSU have research opportunities available for physics students. At Embry-Riddle, students have the opportunity to work on projects related to space science, astrophysics, and atmospheric physics. FSU offers a wider range of research options, including biophysics, quantum mechanics, and nanoscience. It is important to reach out to faculty at each school to learn more about specific research opportunities.

3. Which school has a better job placement rate for physics graduates?

Both Embry-Riddle and FSU have strong reputations in the science and engineering industries, so job placement rates for physics graduates at both schools are high. However, Embry-Riddle's specialized focus on aerospace-related physics may give graduates an edge in the aerospace industry, while FSU's broader range of research opportunities may lead to a wider variety of job opportunities.

4. What resources are available for physics students at each school?

Both Embry-Riddle and FSU offer resources to support physics students, such as tutoring services, study groups, and research opportunities. Embry-Riddle also has a dedicated physics and space science laboratory, while FSU has a state-of-the-art physics research facility. It is recommended to visit each school's website or speak with current students to learn more about the specific resources available.

5. How does the cost of attendance compare between the two schools?

The cost of attendance at Embry-Riddle and FSU may vary depending on factors such as residency status and financial aid. Generally, FSU is a public university and may have lower tuition costs compared to the private university, Embry-Riddle. It is important to research and compare the cost of attendance at both schools to determine which one is more affordable for you.

Back