Piezoelectric element in contact with a metal

In summary, the speaker is using ABAQUS for material modelling, specifically studying the interaction between a piezoelectric material and a metal under strain. They are trying to produce an electric field that does not extend beyond the surface of the piezoelectric material, but are having trouble conducting the electric potential from the piezoelectric to the metal. They are using the ABAQUS/Standard solver and have set up a static mechanical strain and uniform electric potential on the piezoelectric material. They are seeking assistance with setting up boundary conditions for the metal to ensure the electric potential is conducted through it and into the surrounding media.
lostminty
Hi all,

I'm using ABAQUS to do a bit of material modelling.

I don't have concrete understanding of this but I'll explain what I am trying to do:

Essentially a piezoelectric and a metal in contact under strain. The piezoelectric produces an electric potential which I hope can be conducted into the metal, only it doesn't at least not in my modelling.

The hope is that the metal will conduct enough charge from the piezoelectric that I can set up an electric field some distance from the piezoelectric material which doesn't produce an electric field outside its surface.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm using the ABAQUS/Standard solver, and I've applied a static mechanical strain to the piezoelectric material, as well as the electric potential. I've set it up so that the electric potential is the same everywhere on the surface of the piezoelectric.I'm not sure how to set up the boundary conditions for the metal in this case, or how to make sure that the electric potential is conducted through the metal and out into the surrounding media. Any help would be appreciated.Thanks!

Related to Piezoelectric element in contact with a metal

1. What is a piezoelectric element?

A piezoelectric element is a material that can convert mechanical energy into electrical energy, and vice versa. This means that it can generate an electrical charge when subjected to pressure or vibration, and can also produce mechanical movement when an electrical charge is applied to it.

2. How does a piezoelectric element work?

A piezoelectric element works through the piezoelectric effect, which is the ability of certain materials to generate an electric charge in response to applied mechanical stress. The element is made up of crystals or ceramics that have a unique atomic structure, allowing them to produce an electrical charge when deformed.

3. What happens when a piezoelectric element is in contact with a metal?

When a piezoelectric element is in contact with a metal, the electrical charge generated by the element can be transferred to the metal, causing it to vibrate or produce sound. This is the principle behind devices such as speakers and buzzers that use a piezoelectric element in contact with a metal diaphragm to produce sound.

4. What are the applications of piezoelectric elements in contact with metal?

Piezoelectric elements in contact with metal have a wide range of applications, including in sensors, actuators, and energy harvesting devices. They are also commonly used in medical ultrasound equipment, as well as in musical instruments such as electric guitars and keyboards.

5. Are there any limitations to using piezoelectric elements in contact with metal?

One limitation of using piezoelectric elements in contact with metal is that they can produce a relatively low voltage output compared to other types of sensors. They also have a limited frequency range and may not be suitable for high-power applications. Additionally, the mechanical stress applied to the element can cause it to degrade over time, so they may need to be replaced periodically.