Pigeonhole Principle question

• Thread starter life is maths
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Principle
In summary, the conversation discusses the problem of proving that in any set of n+1 positive integers not exceeding 2n, there must be two that are relatively prime. The conversation explores different methods of solving this problem, including mathematical induction and using consecutive numbers. Ultimately, it is determined that there must be 2 consecutive numbers in the set, which will be relatively prime. This is visualized through the analogy of placing balls in cups.
life is maths
Hi, I love the pigeonhole principle subject, but the problem is I'm not very sharp to solve questions easily:rolleyes:. I'm stuck with this one:

Show that in any set of n+1 positive integers not exceeding 2n, there must be two that are relatively prime.

I tried mathematical induction, but I couldn't finish it. Say n=2, and we have n+1= 3 integers not exceeding 2n=4. It is 1, 2 and 3. It's okay for the base case. Then let's assume it holds for n=k, integers smaller than 2k. Then we add another number so that we have k+1 numbers and they are smaller than 2k+2. How can I prove that those numbers are relatively prime? Is there an easier and more practical way to solve this? Thank you for any help.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
I'd think about consecutive numbers. What is gcd(k, k+1) for positive k?

Thanks, but those numbers do not have to be consecutive. Do you have any ideas?

life is maths said:
Thanks, but those numbers do not have to be consecutive.

Are you sure about that? You have n+1 numbers, and 2n "places" to put them, since none of the numbers can exceed 2n.

spamiam said:
Are you sure about that? You have n+1 numbers, and 2n "places" to put them, since none of the numbers can exceed 2n.

I couldn't understand what you mean by ''2n 'places' to put them''. There are n+1 numbers none of which can exceed 2n. Am I missing something?:confused:

life is maths said:
I couldn't understand what you mean by ''2n 'places' to put them''. There are n+1 numbers none of which can exceed 2n. Am I missing something?:confused:

What I'm trying to say is that there must be 2 consecutive numbers in this set, which since gcd(k, k+1) = 1 means that you've found your relatively prime elements. I'll get to the picture I was trying to convey, but here's the result I was getting to:

Let S be our set of n+1 numbers that we will choose. For contradiction, we'll try to choose them so that there aren't any numbers that are relatively prime. Then all of our numbers have to have a common divisor greater than 1, which we call d. Since we have a constraint on how big our numbers may be, let's make d as small as possible: d=2. So we choose our first n numbers: 2, 4, 6, ..., 2n. However, now we must choose the (n+1)st number and we realize it can't be done. Any choice we make will result in a choice of 2 consecutive numbers, which will be relatively prime.

Sorry, if my comment was a little cryptic. Here's how I was visualizing it. You have 2n cups numbered from 1 to 2n and arranged in order and n+1 balls. You're trying to arrange these n+1 balls so that you never have two consecutive cups with balls in them. You put the first n balls in cups 2, 4, 6, ..., 2n, but then you are left with 1 remaining ball and no cup in which to put it without having two consecutive cups with balls in them.

spamiam said:
...Sorry, if my comment was a little cryptic. Here's how I was visualizing it. You have 2n cups numbered from 1 to 2n and arranged in order and n+1 balls. You're trying to arrange these n+1 balls so that you never have two consecutive cups with balls in them. You put the first n balls in cups 2, 4, 6, ..., 2n, but then you are left with 1 remaining ball and no cup in which to put it without having two consecutive cups with balls in them.

I finally understood the logic of the question, thank you so very much!

Related to Pigeonhole Principle question

What is the Pigeonhole Principle?

The Pigeonhole Principle, also known as the Dirichlet Principle or the Box Principle, is a fundamental theorem in combinatorics that states that if there are more pigeons than pigeonholes, then at least one pigeonhole must contain more than one pigeon.

How is the Pigeonhole Principle applied in mathematics?

The Pigeonhole Principle is commonly used in mathematics to prove the existence of objects or to show that certain conditions must be met. It is often used in problems involving counting, probability, and optimization.

What is an example of a Pigeonhole Principle problem?

An example of a Pigeonhole Principle problem is the "birthday problem," which asks how many people need to be in a room for there to be a 50% chance that two of them share the same birthday. The answer is only 23 people, due to the large number of possible combinations of birthdays.

Can the Pigeonhole Principle be generalized to more than two sets?

Yes, the Pigeonhole Principle can be extended to more than two sets. In this case, the principle states that if there are k containers and more than k objects, then at least one container must contain more than one object.

How does the Pigeonhole Principle relate to the concept of infinity?

The Pigeonhole Principle can be used to show that even infinite sets have certain properties. For example, it can be used to prove that there are infinitely many prime numbers, or that there are infinitely many rational numbers between any two given irrational numbers.